In NetBackup 7.5, tapes could be prematurely deassigned, which could lead to failed duplication of images on those tapes having an "Expire After Duplication" retention. In addition, any images placed under legal hold residing on these tapes may become unrecoverable.
|Article:TECH190329|||||Created: 2012-06-04|||||Updated: 2012-06-28|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH190329|
Under a particular set of circumstances, it is possible for a tape to be prematurely expired, resulting in images managed by a Storage Lifecycle Policy (SLP) to become unavailable before they can be duplicated. In addition, any images placed under a legal hold located on these expired tapes will become unavailable and unrecoverable should the tape be reassigned and overwritten with new data.
This issue is only present in NetBackup 7.5 GA and will not be seen if a Maintenance Release (such as 220.127.116.11 or 18.104.22.168) has been applied to the EMM server.
This issue only affects NetBackup 7.5. Other versions (including the current version, NetBackup 22.214.171.124) are not affected by this issue.
This issue will be experienced when ALL of the following conditions are met:
- Retention set in SLP as Expire after copy (see Figure)
- Multiple images are stored on the same media
- One image gets duplicated from media and is then expired as expected
- The entire media could then get expired (Data Loss) if:
- There are no other images on tape with a higher retention level and
- The current image expiration date is in the past
Expire after copy retention is set to retention level 0, which has a default value of 1 week.
If this situation occurs, the media is freed up for further writes which may result in valid data being overwritten, including images placed under a legal hold.
The formal resolution to this issue (Etrack 2730197) is included in the following release:
- NetBackup 7.5 Maintenance Release 1 (126.96.36.199)
NetBackup 188.8.131.52 is currently available - for more information, please see the Related Article linked below.
Symantec strongly recommends the following best practices:
1. Always perform a full DR backup prior to making any changes to your environment.
2. Always make sure that your environment is running the latest version and patch level.
3. Perform periodic "test" restores.
4. Subscribe to technical articles.
How to Subscribe to Email Notification:
Directly to this Article:
Subscribe to this article by clicking on the Subscribe via email link on this page to receive notification when this article is updated with Release Information.
If you have not received information about this TechNote from the Symantec Email Notification Service as a Software Alert, you may subscribe via email and/or RSS using the links provided at the following page:
DATA LOSS: tape with "Expire After Dup" retention can get deassigned prematurely
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH190329