LiveUpdate is not working and virus definitions do not update when registry AppData location is incorrect
|Article:TECH191788|||||Created: 2012-06-26|||||Updated: 2014-03-28|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH191788|
You see one of the following symptoms:
- Running the LiveUpdate Control Panel shows an error.
1. Open the Windows Control Panel|All Control Panel Items and click on Symantec LiveUpdate (32-bit).
2. A dialog box titled Control Panel Initialization Failed with the following text:
LiveUpdate could not access its settings. Error Code: 0x00000000
- Manually registering SMSMSE with LiveUpdate reports an error.
Using the steps in this article: How to Register Symantec Mail Security for Exchange (SMSMSE) With LiveUpdate Manually shows a dialog box with the following error message:
The module C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\SMSMSE\6.5\Server\SAVFMSELU.dll was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80040154.
For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term.
- During installation of SMSMSE an error is reporting about registering SAVFMSELU.dll.
When running the SMSMSE installer a dialog box shows the following error message:
Error 1904.Module C:\Program Files\Symantec\SMSMSE\6.0\Server\SAVFMSELU.dll failed to register. HRESULT – 2147220473. Contact your support personnel.
The installer keeps running and the product installs.
- LiveUpdate definitions are out of date.
- User profile AppData location is incorrect.
1. Run regedit and find the following key: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\AppData.
2. If the value is %APPDATA% then this condition is met.
- LiveUpdate installation log show error code 80004005.
1. See the following article on getting the LiveUpdate installation logs: How to Troubleshoot a failed Windows LiveUpdate installation.
2. Open the log file LUInstall.LiveUpdate in an editor and look for the following error message:
6/26/2012 15:03:17 GMT BEGIN - CLUInstall::ConvertLegacySettingsTo31( )
6/26/2012 15:03:17 GMT Failed with COM error in ConvertLegacySettingsTo31 - 80004005
6/26/2012 15:03:17 GMT END - CLUInstall::ConvertLegacySettingsTo31( 80004005 )
- LiveUpdate check shows error code 0x802A0014.
1. See the following article on getting the LiveUpdate check log: How to Troubleshoot a failed Windows LiveUpdate installation.
2. Open the log file luResult.txt in an editor and look for the following error message:
6/26/2012, 18:09:32 GMT -> Testing ProductRegCom access...
6/26/2012, 18:09:32 GMT -> CLuIntLiveUpdateAccessController - failed to create an instance of an luProductReg object; hr=0x802A0014; desc=
6/26/2012, 18:09:32 GMT -> CLuIntLiveUpdateAccessController - failed to get the Product object; hr=0x802A0014
6/26/2012, 18:09:32 GMT -> CLuIntProductRegAccess - failed to create ProductRegCOM Product object; hResult = 0x802A0014
6/26/2012, 18:09:32 GMT -> VerifyLiveUpdateInstall failed; an exception was caught while creating a connection to LiveUpdate; LiveUpdate is not installed; hResult = 0x802A0014.
6/26/2012, 18:09:32 GMT -> Error was 'unable to create check-for-updates object'; testing LuComServer settings access to get a more specific error...
6/26/2012, 18:09:32 GMT -> CLuIntLiveUpdateAccessController - failed to initialize CheckForUpdates object
LiveUpdate requires that the user's AppData setting is correct.
Change the user's AppData setting.
1. Open regedit.
2. Change the value of the registry key HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\AppData to the value %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming.
If SMSMSE is already installed then re-register SMSMSE with LiveUpdate using the following article: How to Register Symantec Mail Security for Exchange (SMSMSE) With LiveUpdate Manually.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH191788