KNOWN ISSUE: NSEs for Agentless Inventory Failing to process if the time format of SMP is set to a.m./p.m.
|Article:TECH192998|||||Created: 2012-07-15|||||Updated: 2012-08-17|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH192998|
After an upgrade from ITMS 7.1 SP1 to SP2, agentless inventory fails to process with DateTime errors shown in the log.
This issue appears if the Windows Regional Settings of the Symantec Management Platform (SMP) is initially set to English (NZ), and time format set to a.m./p.m.
NOTE: This issue may also occur in other regions with time format set to a.m./p.m.
Following errors are shown in the Altiris Log Viewer:
1. SetColumn: Couldn't set [lastUpdate] to (6/07/2012 1:53:47 p.m.).
2. Failed to load inventory. [Failed to commit fast insert in class]
3. Failed to process NSE.
The details of the above error messages has the same cause. That is, "The string was not recognized as a valid DateTime. There is a unknown word starting at index 18. Couldn't store <6/07/2012 1:53:47 p.m.> in lastUpdate column. Expected type is DateTime.
This error occurs when the agentless inventory task tries to update the lastUpdate column of the Inv_Inventory_for_Network_Devices_Last_Update table, with this time format "6/07/2012 2:25:37 p.m."
IT Management Suite (ITMS) 7.1 SP2
Symantec Management Platform (SMP) 7.1.8280
Inventory Solution 7.1.7581
Symantec Installation Manager (SIM) 7.1.206
Regional Settings is set to New Zealand (Language is set to English (NZ), and time format is set to a.m./p.m.)
Symantec is investigating the cause of this issue.
Symantec is investigating this issue at this point, please subscribe to this KB article for any update (e.g. future hotfix that will address this issue).
The workaround for this issue is to change the format of the affected lastUpdate column. However, as this involves modification of your CMDB database, PLEASE ensure you have a backup copy of the database before proceeding. The steps are as follow:
Disclaimer: The following appears to work around the issue. However, full validation has not occurred so please use with caution. As the field will no longer enforce a DateTime format, there may be report ramifications. Also, the option "Only inventory devices not inventoried in last: xx Days" will not be available after the change.
1. Connect to the CMDB database via SQL Management Studio. Locate the CMDB database by expanding <SQL_Server_instance_name> > Databases on the left pane, then right click the CMDB database and select New Query.
2. Please run the following command:
3. After the above change, please run Network Discovery task and Agentless Inventory tasks. Agentless Inventory should be able to run, please verify the Task Status, and check if there is any new entry listed in the Inv_Inventory_for_Network_Devices_Last_Update table.
Agentless Inventory errors during NSE processing if Regional Settings language is set to New Zealand (NZ)
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH192998