Attempts to perform searches fail with the error 'Value cannot be null. Parameter: value.'
|Article:TECH196179|||||Created: 2012-09-05|||||Updated: 2013-06-14|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH196179|
Attempting to run a search in Compliance Accelerator (CA) / Discovery Accelerator (DA) results in the search failing with the error 'Value cannot be null. Parameter: value.' in the Info column of every index volume included to be searched.
Error in the Info column of all Index Volumes to have been searched:
Symantec Enterprise Vault Event log entry:
Event Source: Accelerator Service Processor
Event Category: None
Event ID: 297
APP AT - Customer ID: 1 - Error processing Vault to Search off the queue: Searching Vault Thread - worker thread for index server: 1 (6)
Vault ID: 11746
Number of tries: 5
Cause:Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: value
- Compliance Accelerator (CA) 9.0 SP3 or 10.0 SP1 with at least one CA Customer database upgraded from CA versions prior to CA 8.0.
- Discovery Accelerator (DA) 9.0 SP3 or 10.0 SP1 with at least one DA Customer database upgraded from DA versions prior to DA 8.0.
This issue has been found to only occur in CA / DA Customer databases that have been upgraded from CA / DA 2007 SP6 or earlier versions to CA / DA 9.0 SP3 or greater, or 10.0 SP1 or greater, and had at least one CA Department / DA Case prior to the upgrade to CA / DA 8.0 or greater. The one Department / Case would have Department (Case) ID of 4.
Compliance Accelerator / Discovery Accelerator 9.0 SP3 and 10.0 SP1 introduced the HashType column in the tblCase table, and code to populate that column so that search security requirements could be met. The code used to populate the column excludes the first 4 rows in the table as these rows are reserved for certain system generated entries starting with CA / DA 8.0.
When a CA / DA Customer is created in versions of Compliance Accelerator / Discovery Accelerator prior to version 8.0, only the first 3 rows are reserved for system generated entries, allowing the 4th row to contain a Department / Case in which Random Sampling and / or searches are able to be run, accepted, reviewed, etc. A CA / DA Customer that has this 4th row containing a CA Department / DA Case will not have it's 4th row entry populated with the HashType value assigned to all rows after the 4th row, leaving the HashType as NULL for that Department / Case.
Any Research Folder created under that 4th row Department / Case after the upgrade to CA / DA 9.0 SP3 will also have its HashType field set to NULL by default.
Implementing the solution below will set the HashType for all Departments / Cases and Research Folders to 'SHA256', which is the default value assigned during the upgrade processing. Once a Department / Case has the HashType column populated, any new Research Folders created under that Department / Case will have the HashType column also populated with the same value as the parent Department / Case.
Follow the steps below to implement the solution. Note that Symantec Support recommends backing up the CA / DA Customer database prior to and immediately following the implementation of these steps.
On the Compliance Accelerator (CA) / Discovery Accelerator (DA) Server:
1) Log onto the server using any account with Local Administrator privileges, such as the Vault Service Account (VSA).
2) Launch the Services Microsoft Management Console (MMC).
3) Stop the Enterprise Vault Accelerator Manager Service (EVAMS).
On the SQL Server hosting the CA / DA Customer database(s):
4) Log onto the server using any account that has permission to modify the contents of the CA / DA Customer database(s), such as the Vault Service Account.
5) Launch the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.
6) Log into the SQL instance hosting the CA / DA Customer database(s).
7) Open a New Query window focused on the CA / DA Customer database.
8) Copy the following SQL script into the New Query window.
SET HashType = 'SHA256'
WHERE Type NOT IN (100, 103, 104, 106)
AND HashType IS NULL
9) Repeat Steps 7 through 8 for any additional CA / DA Customer databases that were upgraded from any version prior to CA / DA 8.0.
10) Close the New Query window - with or without saving the contents is the user's choice.
11) Close SQL Server Management Studio.
12) Log off of the SQL Server.
On the CA / DA server:
13) Start EVAMS.
14) Close the Services MMC.
15) Log off of the server.
On any workstation with the CA / DA Client installed:
16) Log onto the workstation using any account authorized to run searches in the CA / DA Customer.
17) Launch the CA / DA Client.
18) Configure and run new searches, or reject or resubmit any failed searches that remain in a failed or pending status.
This issue has been resolved in the following release:
Enterprise Vault 10.0.3 - Release Details
CA: Searches against specific archive fails with error "Value Cannot be null, Parameter: value".
DA: Searches against specific archive fails with error "Value Cannot be null, Parameter: value".
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH196179