What is the process to upgrade SQL 2008 R2 to SP2 in a DR configuration
|Article:TECH197060|||||Created: 2012-09-21|||||Updated: 2012-09-21|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH197060|
|NOTE: If you are experiencing this particular known issue, we recommend that you Subscribe to receive email notification each time this article is updated. Subscribers will be the first to learn about any releases, status changes, workarounds or decisions made.|
What is the process to upgrade SQL 2008 R2 to SP2 in a DR configuration (SFW+FOC+VVR)?
The following is the upgrade procedure:
1. Stop Replication between primary and secondary by VEA.
2. Upgrade secondary from SQL 2008 R2 to SQL 2008 R2 SP2, using passive mode. Reboot if required.
3. Upgrade the passive node of primary site to SQL 2008 R2 SP2, using passive mode. Reboot if required.
4. Perform a local failover to the newly upgraded node on the primary
5. Upgrade the only remaining passive node of primary site to SQL 2008 R2 SP2, using passive mode. Reboot if required.
6. Perform local failover to the original primary node
7. Make sure all the resources are online and then Start Replication from VEA.
Frequently asked questions:
1. Is stop/resume replication is a must?
This is a recommendation for best practices.
2. Is it correct to consider all nodes of secondary site as passive?
Yes, secondary site can be considered same as passive node.
3. Do we need to upgrade site by site? Which means upgrade all nodes of primary site firstly, than upgrade all nodes of secondary site? Vice-versa?
Upgrade in the following sequence is recommended:
1. All nodes on secondary site
2. All passive nodes on primary
3. Perform local failover and upgrade the new passive node.
4. Failback to the original primary
5. Start Replication from VEA
For more information on "SQL Server 2008 failover cluster rolling patch and service pack process" please refer to the following link:
Provide a procedure for applying SP2 to SQL 2008 R2
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH197060