Upgrades of NetBackup 52x0 Appliances configured as master servers from version 2.0.x to version 2.5.x may experience catalog issues. These patches have been replaced.
|Article:TECH198390|||||Created: 2012-10-15|||||Updated: 2014-11-04|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH198390|
|NOTE: If you are experiencing this particular known issue, we recommend that you Subscribe to receive email notification each time this article is updated. Subscribers will be the first to learn about any releases, status changes, workarounds or decisions made.|
October 15, 2012: Initial publication
October 31, 2012: Updated availability date for replacement patches
November 14, 2012: Updated availability date for replacement patches
November 26, 2012: Patches are now available - information added below
NetBackup 5200 and 5220 Appliances which are configured as master servers may encounter issues when upgrading to version 2.5 if one of the following two features is in use:
- Catalog archiving
Archived catalog images are not migrated correctly to NetBackup 7.5
- Links for client images
Links/ALTFILES files do not correctly create client aliases, leading to loss of .f data
More information on these specific issues can be found in the Related Articles linked below.
These issues only affect 52x0 Appliances configured as master servers which have been upgraded to 2.5.x from 2.0.x.
Appliances which shipped with 2.5 (as a "base" version) are not affected by these issues.
Appliances which are configured as media servers are not affected by these issues.
Although resolutions for these issues were included in the 2.5.1 patch (based on NetBackup 188.8.131.52), the only upgrade path to 2.5.1 is from 2.5 - which means there is still a possibility to be affected by these issues while Appliances are at version 2.5. Both the 2.5 and 2.5.1 patches were removed from the support site and replaced with new "B" patches which prevent any encounter of these issues during an upgrade of the Appliance to a 2.5.x version. These patches are now available via the Related Articles linked below.
The following flow chart may be consulted to determine the next course of action:
- If 52x0 Appliances have not yet been upgraded to 2.5 or 2.5.1, when an upgrade is desired, please upgrade using the new 2.5b and 2.5.1b patches, available now.
- 52x0 Appliances initially deployed with version 2.5 are not impacted by these issues and no further action is necessary. Upgrade to 2.5.1b is recommended when convenient.
- 52x0 Appliances configured as media servers are not impacted, even if they have been upgraded to a 2.5.x version. No further action is necessary.
- 52x0 Appliances configured as master servers which have been upgraded to 2.5 or 2.5.1 but have NOT enabled catalog archiving and are NOT using symbolic links in the image database are not impacted. No further action is necessary.
- If 52x0 Appliances are configured as master servers, have been upgraded to 2.5 or 2.5.1 AND catalog archiving is in use and/or symbolic links are used in the image database, please contact NetBackup technical support to obtain further instructions.
- 52x0 Appliances currently at 2.5 which are not impacted do not need the 2.5b patch. Please apply the 2.5.1b patch when convenient.
- 52x0 Appliances currently at 2.5.1 which are not impacted do not need the 2.5.1.b patch.
Replacement patches are now available; please access the Related Articles linked below.
Note: When upgrading to 2.5b, please be sure have both the 2.5b and 2.5.1b patches downloaded and available, as upon completion of an upgrade to 2.5b, an application of the 2.5.1b patch is mandatory before the Appliance can return to a running state.
Symantec strongly recommends the following best practices:
1. Always perform a full DR backup prior to making any changes to your environment.
2. Always make sure that your environment is running the latest version and patch level.
3. Perform periodic "test" restores.
4. Subscribe to technical articles.
How to Subscribe to Email Notification:
Directly to this Article:
Subscribe to this article by clicking on the Subscribe via email link on this page to receive notification when this article is updated with Release Information.
If you have not received information about this TechNote from the Symantec Email Notification Service as a Software Alert, you may subscribe via email and/or RSS using the links provided at the following page:
2.5 patch upgrade script
2.5.1 patch upgrade script
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH198390