Recommended NetBackup and PureDisk software versions and EEBs for use with Auto Image Replication
|Article:TECH200177|||||Created: 2012-11-27|||||Updated: 2013-01-24|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH200177|
|NOTE: If you are experiencing this particular known issue, we recommend that you Subscribe to receive email notification each time this article is updated. Subscribers will be the first to learn about any releases, status changes, workarounds or decisions made.|
Known issues when using the NetBackup Auto Image Replication (AIR) feature with PureDisk 6.x or NetBackup 7.x
- Automatic import jobs failing with status code 191 (no images were successfully processed) reported
- Problems Report (bperror) showing imports failing with "file not found" errors
- Images in the "source master server" not found on the "master server"
- Images Remain Pending import or pending replication after upgrade to NetBackup Version 7.5.0.x
- Images which are pending Replication of a SLP Index greater than 100 after upgrade to NetBackup Version 7.5.0.x
- Import jobs fail with Backup Id already exists after upgrade to NetBackup Version 7.5.0.x
- NetBackup 7.1.0.x or 7.5.0.x using NetBackup 5000/5020 appliances (all versions) or PDDO (PureDisk Deduplication Option) software
- Upgrades from NetBackup 7.1.0.x to NetBackup 7.5.0.x (including upgrades of NetBackup 52x0 Appliances from 2.0.x to 2.5.x)
- The NetBackup 7.1 and PDDO issues do NOT affect customers using AIR with MSDP or other non-PureDisk storage. The NetBackup 7.5 issues will affect ALL users using AIR.
The first problem set is a group of issues related to AIR functionality in the 50x0 Appliances. In situations where images fail to finish replication (either because the job was cancelled/killed or failed due to communications failure) and a subsequent retry was successful, duplicate reference entries may be created in the PureDisk metabase. This can eventually lead to problems importing the image. Additionally, the image import performance on the target storage unit may degrade over a period of time. These issues are resolved in the 18.104.22.168 version of the NetBackup 50x0 Appliance software.
The second problem relates to the catalog improvements made in NetBackup 7.5. During the catalog migration step which is part of the 7.5 upgrade process, the possibility exists that some pending replications and imports will stay pending indefinitely. In addition, instances have been observed where replicated TIR+ backup images may not be imported successfully following upgrade. These issues are expected to be fixed in the NetBackup 22.214.171.124 Maintenance Release.
Symantec Corporation has acknowledged that the above mentioned issues are present in the current version(s) of the product(s) mentioned in this article. Symantec Corporation is committed to product quality and satisfied customers.
A formal resolution for these issues is included in the following release:
- NetBackup PureDisk 6.6.4 with the "lean" bundle applied
- NetBackup PureDisk 5000/5020 Appliances 126.96.36.199
These releases are now available - please refer to the Related Articles linked below.
A formal resolution for these issues is scheduled to be included in the following releases:
- NetBackup 7.5 Maintenance Release 5 (188.8.131.52)
- NetBackup 5200/5220 Appliances 2.5 Release Update 2 (2.5.2)
When these releases are available, please access the following link for download and README information:
NetBackup Enterprise Server: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/overview.jsp?pid=15143
NetBackup Appliances: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/overview.jsp?pid=58991
Please note that Symantec Corporation reserves the right to remove any fix from the targeted release if it does not pass quality assurance tests or introduces new risks to overall code stability. Symantec's plans are subject to change and any action taken by you based on the above information or your reliance upon the above information is made at your own risk.
The recommendation from our engineering team is that any customer experiencing an issue with AIR should apply the appropriate fixes from the list below.
Using AIR with NB 5000/5020 appliances?
Please upgrade Appliances to version 184.108.40.206. All fixes are included in this release.
Note: Customers running 1.4.3 FA may be eligible for a White Glove consulting upgrade to 220.127.116.11.
Using AIR with PureDisk software version 6.6.3?
Please upgrade to version 6.6.4 with the "lean" EEB (Emergency Engineering Binary) bundle.
An EEB for PureDisk 6.6.3 is available. Please contact Symantec technical support, referencing this document and Etrack 2997793.
Using AIR on 7.1-based master/media servers?
An EEB bundle for NetBackup 18.104.22.168 is available by contacting Symantec technical support, referencing this document and Etrack 2947555.
An EEB bundle for NetBackup 52x0 Appliances 2.0.3 (22.214.171.124) is available by contacting Symantec technical support, referencing this document and Etrack 2929433.
Note: These bundles are only needed when using PDDO storage on PureDisk 6.6.x or PureDisk 50x0 Appliances 1.4.x.
Using AIR on 7.5-based master/media servers?
An EEB bundle for NetBackup 126.96.36.199 (and NetBackup 52x0 Appliances 2.5.1) is available by contacting Symantec technical support, referencing this document and Etrack 2941256. More information on this bundle can be found in the Related Article linked below.
Bundle - Fixes for AIR
Images missing from target domain that should have been replicated via SLP
no images were successfully processed
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH200177