Issue scanning .mht (MHTML Web Archive) files with Symantec Protection Engine (SPE).
|Article:TECH201006|||||Created: 2012-12-19|||||Updated: 2012-12-19|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH201006|
Attempting to scan some .mht files results in a virus detection due to a malformed container violation.
This issue currently only appears to affect .mht files created with Windows Problem Steps Recorder(WPSR).
This is currently a known issue in SPE 7.0.x and Symantec Engineering is currently investigating this issue.
The current recommended workaround is to allow malformed container files.
To configure Symantec Protection Engine to allow malformed container files:
- In the console on the primary navigation bar, click Policies.
- In the sidebar under Views, click Filtering.
- Click the "Container Handling" tab at the top of the page.
- Ensure "Enable Malformed Container Handling" is checked
- Under "Enable Malformed Container Handling", select "Log only".
- By default, Symantec Protection Engine is set to block malformed container files.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH201006