Slow analytics performance when enabling a case in DA.
|Article:TECH201365|||||Created: 2013-01-04|||||Updated: 2013-01-16|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH201365|
When enabling a Case in Enterprise Vault (EV) Discovery Accelerator (DA) for Analytics, the captured data within the Case is very slow to complete the Analytics processing.
- Symantec Enterprise Vault Discovery Accelerator 8.0 or greater
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or 2008 R2
The Analytics processing takes the KVSSavesetID for each captured item within the DA Case and retrieves a copy of the item from storage. Each item is then analyzed to record the data required for the fields in the Analytics related tables in the DA Customer database.
This processing typically begins quickly, but slows as more items are added to the Analytics related tables. This slowdown can relate to Analytics processing at a rate of about 1/10th of that for DA Cases with small numbers of items.
No solution currently exists for this issue. However, the following actions could provide workarounds to reduce the impact on the processing rate of having large numbers of items within a DA Case.
- Perform SQL database maintenance on the DA Customer database more frequently than normal while the items are working trough the Analytics processing. See TECH74666 in the Related Articles section below for the Symantec recommended database maintenance actions. The specific maintenance activities that would have the greatest impact are:
- Backup and truncate the transaction log.
- Rebuild the table indexes.
- Update the statistics.
- Keep the amount of data within a DA Case limited to 5000 items or less. The fewer items to process through Analytics, the better the performance will be.
- Enable Analytics on a DA Case while only a few items have been captured, then add additional items through more searches, allowing each search's items to process through before running or accepting the next search.
Symantec Corporation has acknowledged that the above-mentioned issue is present in the current version(s) of the product(s) mentioned at the end of this article. Symantec Corporation is committed to product quality and satisfied customers.
This issue is currently under investigation by Symantec Corporation. Pending the outcome of the investigation, this issue may be resolved by way of a patch or hotfix in current or future revisions of the software. However, this particular issue is not currently scheduled for any release. If you feel this issue has a direct business impact for you and your continued use of the product, please contact your Symantec Sales representative or the Symantec Sales group to discuss these concerns. For information on how to contact Symantec Sales, please see http://www.symantec.com .
Please be sure to refer back to this document periodically as any changes to the status of the issue will be reflected here.
Analytics processing of very large Cases is 90% slower than the processing of small Cases.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH201365