How to collect full support logs for Symantec Support with the SymHelp utility
|Article:TECH203029|||||Created: 2013-02-21|||||Updated: 2013-10-22|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH203029|
Symantec Support has requested full support logs in order to troubleshoot an issue you are having, and you need to know how to do this.
Symantec Help (SymHelp) is a cross-product diagnostic utility designed for troubleshooting and identifying common issues that customers encounter.
Currently SymHelp supports the following Symantec products:
- Symantec Backup Exec 11d to 2012
- Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 6.5 to 8.x
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention 11.0 and later
- Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 and later
- Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange 6.5.2 and later
- Symantec System Recovery 2010 to 2012
- VIP Access
- Download and start SymHelp.
- When you launch SymHelp, it first verifies the version status with Symantec. If there is a newer version of SymHelp available, SymHelp updates itself automatically. Click I accept the EULA to continue.
- On the Home screen, click Collect data for a support case, and in the dialog that opens, select the product(s) for which you need to collect the data. Then click Next.
Unless directed otherwise by the Technical Support Engineer for your case, select All Data, then click Scan.
When SymHelp completes the scan collection, the “Save the report file” screen appears. Fill in the customer information, then do one of the following:
- To save a local copy of the report to your desktop click Save.
- To save a local copy and also upload the SymHelp logs to the Symantec FTP server, click Save and send to Symantec Support.
When prompted, click Yes to continue the upload.
After the data file is successfully uploaded, the entire path to the file is displayed. Provide this path, which starts with ftp://ftp.entsupport.symantec.com, to Symantec Technical Support.
Note that Technical Support is not notified automatically when the file is received. Alternatively, consider emailing the local copy of the report directly to the Technical Support Engineer responsible for your case.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH203029