To collect data from a system using Symantec Help (SymHelp) in preparation for or in response to contact with Symantec Support, it is usually necessary to perform a “Standard data for support” scan for any relevant Symantec product supported by SymHelp.
How to perform a ‘Standard data for support’ scan
1. Run SymHelp on the relevant system
2. Click ‘I accept the EULA’
3. In the Home screen click the button 'Collect data for a support case'
4. In the dialog that appears, select the supported Symantec products you want to collect data for, then click the 'Next' button
5. In the next dialog, click the 'Scan' button. Do not select any other options unless directed to by a Symantec support technician
6. For some Symantec products an additional scan dialog may appear. Unless directed by a support technician, leave the default settings as is and click the 'Scan' button
7. Wait for data collection to complete
8. When the scan completes the Save page will appear. Optionally, fill out the customer information section.
Note: If you fill in the 'Case' number it will be pre-pended to the file name when uploading to Symantec via FTP
9. Choose a save location and click the ‘Save’ button
Send Data To Support
1. Alternately, click the ‘Save and send to Symantec Support’ button to upload the file to Symantec Support’s FTP server
2. Click ‘Yes’ to acknowledge the warning
3. Copy and paste the path to the file name and provide this information to a Symantec Support technian