How to attach additional files to a Symantec Help (SymHelp) report
|Article:TECH210585|||||Created: 2013-09-13|||||Updated: 2014-09-30|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH210585|
As part of resolving a technical support case you may be asked to submit additional files to your Support Technician. For convenience these files may be included with a Symantec Help report.
There are two ways in which you can specify additional files for Symantec Help (SymHelp) to collect that are not collected as part of any of its scan options:
- Through the user interface (UI) when choosing ‘Collect data for a support case’
- Through a text file placed in the same directory from which SymHelp.exe is run
Using the UI
Note: Download Symhelp from http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH170752
After accepting the EULA, click on either...
- The "Collect data for a support case" button under the Scans column on the left, or
- "Collect Custom Files" in the right-hand column (this takes you directly to the custom file selection dialog)
Select the product or products as appropriate.
Check the box to Collect custom file(s). And Select the type of data as directed by your Support Technician. If unsure select “All data”.
Browse for the file or enter the path. After the files have been selected click "Scan".
After all the logs are gathered you will see the custom files being added.
After the scan is complete enter your information. Be sure to enter the correct case number as this is used to identify your report.
Then click "Save and send to Symantec Support".
There are two primary methods SymHelp provides for sending data to support:
- Recommended: How to create or update a support case with data using Symantec Help (SymHelp)
- Alternative: Uploading data to Symantec Support FTP server using Symantec Help (SymHelp)
After the upload is complete you will see a success screen. This may take some time depending on the size of the attached file(s),
Using a text file
To add custom files to a data collection run of SymHelp, create a text file named…
Use a plain text editor (or UTF-8 encoding if Unicode characters are needed). In the text file add one file to be collected per line. To properly direct SymHelp to the file desired, the following path formats may be used:
- UNC (network share) or local drive
- Must be an absolute path; no relative paths will be recognized
- Must end with a filename, not a directory name
- Environment variables are accepted
- Wildcards (*, ?) in the filename are accepted
- The double-asterisk wildcard (**) can be added as the last directory name in order to specify all sub-folders of the directory
Note: As in the UI dialog executable files will be ignored and not collected
Place this file in the same folder as SymHelp will be run from.
- Collects all files with the extension “.log” in both the user and system temp folders and their subfolders
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH210585