Upgrade to Backup Exec 2014 fails with error codes 1402 and -2068052614
|Article:TECH222268|||||Created: 2014-06-24|||||Updated: 2014-08-29|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH222268|
Upgrade to Backup Exec 2014 fails because permissions are not set properly in the Windows Registry.
ERROR: Failed to install SQL Express BKUPEXEC instance with error -2068052614
Disable any anti-virus software and/or create exclusions for the Backup Exec and SQL database locations in your anti-virus software.
Check the Summary.txt that is indicated in the install log. It will show each key which needs to have permissions modified. Perform the below steps on each key which has the message: "Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."
1. From the START menu, execute "Run.." and then type "regedit", then press the Enter Key.
2. Navigate to the following parent container: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components.
Note: The 'S-1-5-18' key may be different on the computer.
3. Look for the first of the two GUIDs. Namely: "0F53B42F3A2DFFA4CB8883021F444470". Scroll through the children (sub-folders) of the "Components" key to locate this corresponding first of two GUIDs from the message box shown above. Most often this will have a "+" beside the folder since it'll have one or more children items in it (one of which will be the second GUID from the message box shown above). This can also be found using the "Find" command within the registry editor, but that is a much slower and more tedious operation to do.
4. Right click on the parent container registry key, which is the "0F53B42F3A2DFFA4CB8883021F444470" for this example. The screenshot below uses the "000085D..." registry key for illustrative purposes only. Choose "Permissions..."
5. On the "Permissions for..." dialog box which appears next, press the "Add.." button and add in the "Administrator", "Administrators" and "SYSTEM" accounts. Any other local account being used which has administrator privileges may also need to be added.
6. On the first "Permissions for..." dialog box, click on each account in the top-list and make sure each has the "Full Control = Allow" and "Read = Allow" permissions.
7. Click the "Advanced" button so that the "Advanced Security Settings" dialog box appears:
8. On the "Permissions tab" enable the checkmark box named "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", then press the "Apply" button. If an error occurs, disregard it and move to the next step.
9. On the "Owner" tab, highlight the "Administrators" name in the lower list box, enable the checkmark box called "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and press the "Apply Button". If an error occurs, disregard it and move to the next step.
10. Repeat the two steps above once more. No additional errors should show about not being able to update the permissions on the child keys.
11. Exit the dialog boxes by pressing the "Ok" button and close the registry.
12. Run the install of Backup Exec. If the install still fails, go through all the steps again to confirm they were performed properly, then attempt the install once more.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH222268