Client computer reboots twice when Software Virtualization Solution 2.1.2084 and Norton AntiVirus 10.1.4 are installed on the same computer
|Article:TECH36618|||||Created: 2007-10-31|||||Updated: 2007-11-01|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH36618|
Computers with both Software Virtualization Solution 2.1.2084 and Norton AntiVirus 10.1.4 installed go into a reboot loop a few times before starting Windows.
- I was able to install Norton AntiVirus 10.1.4 program on the computer without any problems while Software Virtualization Solution 2.1 Agent is already active on the computer.
- There were no problems after the installation process of Norton AntiVirus 10.
- Norton AntiVirus services are running and we are able to stop and restart them without any issues.
- Norton AntiVirus is already setup on the SVS Ignore list.
- Checked Norton AntiVirus 10 10.1.4 configuration, and it appeared OK.
- Did a warm reboot to the computer, and this time rebooted properly into Windows.
- But if we shut down the same computer and then turn it on the computer goes to the black Windows screen where you have the option to load to normal windows, safe mode, and so on.
Software Virtualization Solution 2.1.2084
Symantec Norton AntiVirus 10.1.4
The issue is a conflict between Norton AntiVirus 10.1.4 and the Software Virtualization Solution filter driver. This causes the computer to reboot several times when Norton AntiVirus is not able to scan Software Virtualization Solution filter driver.
Norton AntiVirus has the “System Start” configuration setting enabled which allows Norton AntiVirus to load prior to Windows startup to scan the master boot record and other system level files.
The only workaround for this issue is to change the Norton AntiVirus software to use “Symantec Antivirus Start” instead of “System Start.” This change of configuration will allow Software Virtualization Solution Filter driver to load properly and avoid the multiple reboots.
This type of issue has not been seen with the newer version of Norton AntiVirus 10.1.5 and 10.1.6. If you encounter this issue with the newer version of Norton AntiVirus, please contact Altiris Support Services.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH36618