Error "11004: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found"
|Article:TECH39709|||||Created: 2008-04-01|||||Updated: 2008-04-15|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH39709|
When trying to audit a computer using any Policy File, I receive the following error:
Cannot connect to remote computer: [host name]: 11004: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found.
SecurityExpressions Console (any version)
SecurityExpressions Audit & Compliance Server (any version)
When you receive a connection error when trying to audit a host, the error code is produced by Windows, not SecurityExpressions. This error code in particular is in relation to the computer running SecurityExpressions being unable to contact the target host. This error can be reproduced by trying to audit a computer which does not exist on the network.
Run the following troubleshooting steps to help diagnose the cause of the host being unreachable:
- Open a command prompt and try to ping the computer name.
- Open a command prompt and run an nslookup on the computer name. Also try an nslookup on the computer's IP address and ensure the information matches.
- Ensure that the DNS and/or WINS Servers are running and are configured properly. Also ensure they are accessible.
- Physically access the target host and test that it has network connectivity. Run ipconfig and ensure that the IP address matches the result of the ping and nslookup tests.
- In SecurityExpressions, try auditing the target host by its IP address.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH39709