Unable to retrieve drivers from Dell OpenManage 5.5 SMTD DVD and newer
|Article:TECH40775|||||Created: 2008-10-29|||||Updated: 2009-08-28|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH40775|
Using Deployment Solution for Dell Servers, I am unable to retrieve Windows drivers from a Dell OpenManage 5.5 Systems Management Tools and Documentation (SMTD) DVD.
This is a sample scenario:
- In the Configuration Wizard that runs at the end of the Deployment Solution for Dell Servers install, on the first page it prompts me for "Which models would you like to support?", and explains that you can add driver support for scripted Windows installation.
- I check the boxes next to the PowerEdge M600, M605, and M905.
- I click Install Support and am shown a dialog asking to browse to a DVD that supports the M600.
- I browse to the SMTD 5.4.0 DVD and click OK.
- I see that files are copying, then I am shown a dialog asking to browse to a DVD that supports the M905.
- I browse to the SMTD 5.5 DVD and click OK.
- I briefly see a dialog that says "Please wait", then am asked again to browse to a DVD that supports the M905.
- Since I already browsed to the DVD that should support the M905, I click Cancel.
- I am taken back to the dialog asking "Which models would you like to support?" and see that there are grayed check boxes next to all the models that were supported on the SMTD 5.4.0 DVD. The only models not checked are the M805, M905, R805, R905, T100, and T605. The M805 and M905 are supported by the SMTD 5.5 DVD, which I browsed to, but no drivers were retrieved. Driver retrieval from the SMTD 5.4.0 DVD was successful, but failed from the SMTD 5.5 DVD.
- Deployment Solution for Dell Servers 3.1/3.2
- Dell OpenManage 5.5 Systems Management Tools and Documentation (SMTD) DVD and newer
The SMTD DVD contains a Windows driver collection, which has also been available on other Dell OpenManage CDs or DVDs with names such as Dell Server Assistant (DSA), or Dell Server Build and Update Utility (SBUU).
The ISO files for the latest version of these CDs or DVDs are generally available from http://support.dell.com/, under drivers and downloads, in the Systems Management category for the server model you are interested in.
Beginning with OpenManage version 5.5, Dell changed the format of the Windows driver collection on the Dell Systems Management Tools and Documentation (SMTD) DVD. The driver collection consists of driver files within folders named for Dell release IDs. Each release ID folder previously contained a text file (named readme.txt) with meta-data describing the drivers and the associated operating systems and server models.
In OpenManage 5.5, the meta-data text files were eliminated, and the release ID folders were placed within a drivers.tar file. The Configuration Wizard and Configuration Utility from Deployment Solution for Dell Servers have coded dependencies on the meta-data text files, and do not currently handle retrieving files from within a .tar file.
Use the provided vbs script to prepare the SMTD DVD for use with Dell Configuration Utility or Wizard:
1) Download the attached .zip file (PrepDellDrivers.zip) and extract to a temporary folder
2) !!!This is very important!!! View and read the README file (README_PrepDellDrivers.txt) that is included in the .zip.
The following steps are merely a very brief overview of the instructions contained in the readme.
3) Download the latest Windows version of 7-Zip files, freely available from:
You will need the files: 7z.exe and 7z.dll.
Place these files in the same temporary directory where you extracted PrepDellDrivers.zip.
4) After reading the readme, run PrepDellDrivers.vbs. Follow all instructions as given in the readme. Including:
- Select your SOURCE (SMTD DVD, SMTD DVD ISO file, or folder containing the contents of the SMTD DVD)
- Select your TARGET (folder where prepared driver files will be placed. WARNING: this folder may need to be large [Up to 1.5 GB or more available disk space] depending on the SOURCE )
- After PrepDellDrivers.vbs has completed, use the Configuration Wizard or Configuration Utility to add driver support to DS for Dell. Select the directory that you used as your TARGET for PrepDellDrivers, as the source of drivers for the Configuration Wizard, or Configuration Utility.
Resolution II: Manually retrieve and add a single driver:
Windows drivers can be added to the Deployment Solution for Dell Servers driver repository from any source through the Configuration Utility. You can download drivers from the Web, either from the Dell Web site or directly from a hardware manufacturer, such as Broadcom. Drivers can also be manually retrieved from the Dell OpenManage Systems Management Tools and Documentation (SMTD) DVD.
To manually retrieve drivers from the SMTD DVD and add them through the Configuration Utility...
To manually retrieve drivers from the SMTD DVD and add them through the Configuration Utility, refer to article 44246.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH40775