The following is a list of potential factors which could impact Exchange backup speed:
A) Exchange maintenance coinciding with running backup jobs
· Exchange Default maintenance schedule (which normally runs from 1 AM to 5 AM) may interfere with backup.
· Online De-fragmentation or Database Zeroing may also slow down backup and should be run at a separate time if possible.
B) Exchange specific issues
· Exchange databases have become fragmented.
· Event ID 9548 - Difficulties in resolving the entries on the ACL to "Active Directory" Directory Service Objects
The link above will take you outside the Symantec Web site. Symantec does not control and is not responsible for information outside the Symantec Web site.
C) Enabling Legacy backup method
· Legacy backup method will perform at expected slower backup speeds than other methods.
· This option is not recommended; use GRT instead.
D) Other programs interfering with backup
· Anti-virus programs will often slow or prevent a backup.
E) Exchange configuration issues
· Exchange configuration.
· Use Single-Instance Storage (SIS) for message attachments and exclude unnecessary folders from backup.
F) Estimation of reasonable backup speed
· Before determining that there is a performance problem, estimate a reasonable completion time of individual mailbox backup achieved on a network.