EMC Celerra NDMP Agent Information
|Article:TECH51276|||||Created: 2007-01-11|||||Updated: 2012-11-02|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH51276|
EMC Celerra NDMP Agent Information for Backup Exec
Backup Exec for Windows Servers 11d build 7170 and later adds support for EMC network attached storage servers.
- The EMC network attached storage device you use must run DartOS 5.5 or later.
- SnapSure must be enabled.
- A login account called 'ndmp' with md5 authentication enabled must be configured against the Data Mover on the EMC network attached storage device.
- Only complete file systems (volumes) can be backed up; neither individual directories nor files can be selected for backup.
- Cannot use the Backup Exec "Advanced File Selection" feature to filter, include or exclude by file or directory for backup or restore operations.
Excludes can be done but with special syntex. When you exclude files and directories from a backup selection for an EMC Celerra Server or a NetApp/IBM/Fujitsu appliance, you must use patterns. You should enter patterns carefully to ensure that you exclude the correct files and directories. Backup Exec does not verify the validity of exclude patterns. If you enter an invalid pattern, the pattern is ignored and therefore the files or directories are not excluded.)
- Must have DAR/DDAR (Direct Access Restore / Directory DAR) enabled at time of restore in order to restore individual directories.
- Restore operations will always overwrite data on DART (EMC Celerra) file systems.
- A restore of an empty backup set, e.g. an incremental backup with no changes to the file system, fails.
- Canceled or Failed NDMP backups will not be restorable and will not be correctly marked as corrupt in the Backup Exec catalogs.
- The "Resource Order" and "Resource Credentials" section of a Backup Exec job will display unmounted file system information, which results in backup jobs ending with resource errors. A new job is required to be created and submitted without the unmounted file systems.
- Only EMC dump backups are supported.
- DART does not support backup or restore of files with absolute path length greater than 1023 characters.
- SAN Shared Storage Option (SSO) or Dynamic Drive Sharing (DDS) of tape devices between a Backup Exec Media Server is not supported, until version 12.5.
- VBB (Volume Based Backup) is not supported.
- "Backup Access Control Lists" is not applicable.
- "Restore Access Control Lists" is not applicable.
- Because EMC does not support test restore neither a "Verify after Backup" job nor a "Verify Only" job are not supported.
- Redirected Restore is possible but only to another EMC Celerra Server (or the same server and different directory) but not to a Windows Machine.
Note: Other requirements and limitations may apply.
International Character Set Support - If the Celerra device is configured to send file history information with UTF-8 encoding, set following registry key to value 1:
To list the ALL option of the EMC celerra connect using telnet or ssh to Control station IP Address.
# server_param server_2 -f NDMP -list
To enable snapsure
# server_param server_2 -f NDMP -m snapsure -v 1
To enable Md5
# server_param server_2 -f NDMP -m md5 -v 1
server_2 : done
Warning 17716815750: server_2 : You must reboot server_2 for md5 changes to take effect.
To create user called NDMP
# /nas/sbin/server_user server_2 –add –md5 –password ndmp
# server_param server_2 -f NDMP -modify dialect -value "dialect string" (dialect string=> string which enables Unicode)
Backup Exec NDMP Agent Information
Unable to add EMC Celerra NAS/Filer to Backup Exec media server with NDMP Option
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH51276