How to identify the Blue Screen Error Message when Windows continuously restarts after using Restore AnyWare Option (RAO)
|Article:TECH55172|||||Created: 2009-01-23|||||Updated: 2012-01-17|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH55172|
After performing a Restore AnyWare Option (RAO) recovery, upon initial attempt to reboot into the recovered OS, the system continuously restarts.
Windows based OS's
Upon initial reboot a stop condition has occurred during the boot process. Since the restored system's crash control registry value is set to reboot on stop condition, the system goes into a continuous restart cycle.
1. Start the computer with the Symantec Recovery Disk.
2. In the Symantec Recovery Environment, move the cursor to the upper left corner of the screen. When the arrow icon changes to a hand icon, left-click to open a command prompt.
3. Type regedit and press Enter.
4. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
5. Highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
6. Click on File>Load Hive.
7. In the Load Hive window, browse to C:\<system>\system32\config. <system> will be either Windows or WINNT depending on the Operating System.
8. In the config folder, locate a file named 'system' with no extension. Double-click this file.
9. In the Load Hive dialog box, provide a Key Name. This can be anything simple that can be located easily later.
10. The new hive should now appear under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the left navigation pane of the regedit screen. Double-click the new hive to open it.
11. Under the new hive, locate the 'Select' folder and highlight it.
12. In the right pane, note whether the Data value of the 'Current' key ends in '1' or '2'.
13. Open the ControlSet folder that ends in 001 or 002 as noted in step 12.
14. Under ControlSet, open the 'Control' folder.
15. Under Control, open the 'CrashControl' folder.
16. In the right pane, double-click the AutoReboot key.
17. In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, change the Value Data from '1' to '0'.
18. Click OK.
19. Collapse the Control and ControlSet folders, and highlight the new hive from step 9.
20. Click File>Unload Hive.
21. Click Yes when prompted to unload the current key and all its subkeys.
22. Exit the registry editor and the command prompt.
23. Exit the recovery environment and reboot the computer.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH55172