When placing items on Legal Hold, errors are generated in the Legal Hold Details
|Article:TECH61297|||||Created: 2009-01-17|||||Updated: 2013-01-16|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61297|
When placing items on Legal Hold, some items fail to be placed on hold, causing the number of failed items to be displayed in the 'Failed' data of the Legal Hold Details
For DA 6.0, 7.0, 2007.0 or 8.0:
Error For 102400000000000~200806030842060000~0~AD3C77ED12A340B09FF9CF1E0718730 - Error Code: 775
For DA 9.0.0, 9.0.1 or 9.0.2 with pre-EV 8.0 archived items:
Error For 102400000000000~200806030842060000~0~AD3C77ED12A340B09FF9CF1E0718730 - Error Code: -214722
For DA 9.0.0, 9.0.1 or 9.0.2 with EV 8.0 or 9.0 archived items:
Error For 102400000000000~200806030842060000~0~AD3C77ED12A340B09FF9CF1E07187301 - Error Code: -21472
Items can fail to be placed on Legal Hold for the reasons noted in the Solution section below.
In DA 9.0, the error codes were changed from 3 digit codes to 10 digit codes. This caused an issue with the display of the error in formation in the LegalError column of the tblIntDiscoveredItems table as the error now exceeds the 100 character limit for that column.
To determine why an error was generated when placing the items on legal hold a query can be ran against the Discovery Accelerator (DA) Customer Database to determine the error code.
SELECT KVSSavesetID, LegalStatus, LegalHoldID, LegalError FROM tblIntDiscoveredItems
WHERE LegalError IS NOT NULL AND CaseID = XX
Note: Replace the XX in CaseID = XX with the correct case id.
In order to find the Case ID, please see TECH72127 in the Related Articles section below.
Look at the LegalError value.
It should be in the form:
Error For 102400000000000~200806030842060000~0~AD3C77ED12A340B09FF9CF1E0718730 - Error Code:
Note: In the above error message the savesetid is going to be unique for each item.
For DA 8.0 and earlier:
If the Error Code is 769, the archive containing the item was full.
If the Error Code is 770, the storage service was busy such that the item could not be accessed.
If the Error Code is 771, a permission was changed such that the Vault Service Account did not have access to the item.
If the Error Code is 772, a bad parameter was passed to the legal hold operation that prevented the item from being placed on legal hold. See Solution below for recommended resolution steps.
If the Error Code is 773, an ambiguous parameter was passed to the legal hold operation that prevented the item from being placed on legal hold. See Solution below for recommended resolution steps.
If the Error Code is 774, an internal failure occurred. See Solution below for recommended resolution steps.
If the Error Code is 775, the item has been deleted before being placed on legal hold.
If the Error Code is 776, the Archive, Vault Store or Retention Category under which the item was archived does not exist.
If the Error Code is 777, the Legal Hold for the item has been barred from removal.
If the Error Code is 778, the license to allow Legal Hold placement does not exist. Contact your Symantec Sales representative to obtain the license element required to place items on Legal Hold.
If the Error Code is 779, the license to allow Legal Hold placement has expired. Contact your Symantec Sales representative to obtain a new license element to allow items to be place on Legal Hold.
If the Error Code is 780, an invalid device has been referenced. Contact Symantec Technical Support for further assistance.
- scroll up and select the Blank template in the Use the template: field
- change the Set maximum file size (MB): field contents to 250 MB from the default value of 5
--- select Exception
--- select Execution Warnings
--- select User Error Message
- expand Stored Procedures
--- select SP:Starting
--- select SP:Completed
- click the Column Filters... button
--- expand Like in the right panel
----- enter the name of the DA Customer database in the field that opened below Like
--- click the OK button
Solution for Errors 768, 772, 773, 774 and -2147220736:
1) Check the Enterprise Vault, Discovery Accelerator and SQL Servers for TCP Chimney and / or TCP Offload Engine. Disable if found to be enabled. Refer to TECH55653 in the Related Articles section below for further information.
2) Access the Application Administration | System Configuration | Settings for: Legal Hold page for DA 6.x, 7.x or 2007.x, or, for DA 8.x, click on the Configuration button in the top toolbar, then the Settings button in the second toolbar, and expand the Legal Hold section
3) Change the Placing hold items Batch Size setting to half of the current value
4) Change the Removing hold items Batch Size setting to half of the current value and click the OK button at the bottom right of the page for DA 6.x, 7.x, or 2007.x, or the Save button for DA 8.x
5) Restart the Customer Background Task or restart the Enterprise Vault Accelerator Manager Service (EVAMS) to implement the size changes
6) Run iisreset from a Command Line prompt on the DA server to clear the IIS cache
7) Reapply holds on just the failed items per the instructions in TECH66365 (see the Related Articles section below).
8) If the error continues after following the above steps, contact Symantec Enterprise Vault Technical Support for further assistance.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61297