Microsoft Exchange 2007 Information Store backup fails with error "Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed."
|Article:TECH63845|||||Created: 2009-01-30|||||Updated: 2013-09-27|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH63845|
Backup of an Information Store on a Microsoft Exchange 2007 fails with the error "Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed."
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.
Backup of Exchange 2007 server may fail with the above error message if:
- The Agent for Microsoft Exchange license is not installed. In that case the Information Store won't be visible under View by resources in Backup selections and the resource credentials will report Resource not found.
- The Agent for Microsoft Exchange is installed.in trial period expires.
- The Storage Group has been renamed or Information Store name has been changed. (Issue seen with Exchange 2010 also)
- Lack of sufficient free space for the snapshot.
- If an Exchange 2007 Storage Group has no associated database or the Storage Group is Empty.
- If on the Exchange 2007 Server, Exchange writer is missing. To confirm presence of Exchange Writer run the command "VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS" on the Exchange 2007 server.
- Install the Exchange license and ensure that the Information Store is visible under the View by resource tab in Backup selections.
- This issue can be resolved by either restarting the Information Store service on Exchange server or by rebooting the Exchange server.
- Ensure that there is sufficient space on the volume holding Exchange Databases.
- Follow the document http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH60696 if Storage Group has no database into it.
- Reboot the Exchange 2007 server if the command mentioned above does not reflect Microsoft Exchange Writer among the other writers.
- If Exchange Storage Group or Information Store were renamed, then user should recreate Exchange backup job on Backup Exec.
- If the Mailbox of Backup Account (BESA) used for backup and restore of Exchange data is migrated/moved from old version of Exchange. Need to create a new account with mailbox on the Current Exchange server, grant required permissions and use it for backup and restore of Exchange data.
- NOTE: Contact Microsoft Technical Support for further assistance if the Exchange Writer goes missing from the list of VSS Writers even after the reboot.
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH63845