A backup job using Backup Exec Deduplication Option completes with the exception: Client-side deduplication is enabled for this job, but it could not be used.
|Article:TECH77683|||||Created: 2009-01-07|||||Updated: 2014-06-02|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77683|
A backup job using Backup Exec Deduplication Option completes with the following exception:
V-79-40960-39700 The job failed because the Remote Agent for Deduplication is not set up properly to enable client-side deduplication in a private cloud. Verify that the Remote Agent for Deduplication is configured properly, and then run the job again.
Client-side deduplication is enabled for this job, but it could not be used. Please check this link for additional information:http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/V-79-18273.
adamm.log: "NDMP Server inaccessible, unsupported, or has no devices."
There are several potential causes for this warning. This document covers the troubleshooting steps necessary to determine the root cause.
The above exception is noticed in a backup job log if the following is true:
1. The Destination Device for a job is a Deduplication Storage Folder or an Open Storage Technology (OST) Device.
2. The "Use client-side deduplication" option has been selected in the backup job Properties in the Device and Media tab.
and one of the following conditions occurs:
1. The Remote Agent for Windows on the remote computer has not been configured as a Remote Agent with Deduplication;
2. or the Backup Exec PureDisk FileSystem Service is stuck
3. or the Remote Agent with Deduplication name does not match the Remote Agent name
4. or the host file entries are not added on the remote server where "Remote Media agent" option is configured.
5. or the job is an off-host backup job. Client-side deduplication is not supported for off-host backups.
[ I ] Modify the backup job so that it is not configured to use Backup Exec client-side deduplication.
1. Go to the backup job properties
2. Select Device and Media
3. Uncheck the use Client-side deduplication option and change it to use Server-side deduplication.
[ II ] Configure the Remote Agent with Deduplication on the agent that is being backed up.
1. Go to the Devices tab in Backup Exec console.
2. Right click on the media server node in question and select the Add Remote Agent for Deduplication menu item.
3. Specify the Server Name for the Remote Agent that is being configured and select Ok.
Note: Backup Exec will prompt to restart the services before this configuration takes effect.
Restart the Backup Exec services on the media server and run the job again. Verify that it completes successfully with the deduplication feature working as desired.
[ III ] Configure the Remote Agent with Direct Access using the same name as the Agent that is being backed up.
Note: This does not apply to Backup Exec 2010 R3 and beyond.
If either of these are the case, either remove and re-add the RAD or change the User Defined Share name to match the name in the properties in the RAD.
[ VIII ] Add the host file entries on the remote server where "Remote Media agent" option is configured and on the media server as well
and recycle the remote agent service & Backup exec services.
[ IX ] Make sure that NDMP port of remote server corresponds with direct access port.
The Direct access port should be the same with the NDMP control port of a remote server. The NDMP control port number is 10000 by default.
If the NDMP control port of a remote server is changed, the direct access port must also be changed.
Note: In Backup Exec 2010, The direct access port is not changed once Remote Agent for Deduplication is configured.
To change the direct access port, delete Remote Agent configured for deduplication from the device tab then configure Remote Agent Deduplication with the new port number.
For more information on adamm log, refer the document http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH89750. The log file is under the Backup Exec directory, on the drive where backup exec is installed, normally C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs. This information also get collected when collecting logs using Vxgather.
Client-side deduplication is enabled for this job, but it could not be used.
0xa0009b14 The job failed because the Remote Agent for Deduplication is not set up properly to enable client-side deduplication in a private cloud. Verify that the Remote Agent for Deduplication is configured properly, and then run the job again.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77683