How to configure LiveUpdate to connect to an Internal LiveUpdate server for Symantec Antivirus products on Unix, Linux, AIX or Solaris platforms.
|Article:TECH78975|||||Created: 2001-01-01|||||Updated: 2013-10-18|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH78975|
You are using a Symantec product on an AIX, Solaris, Unix, or Linux platform and want to know how to configure LiveUpdate to connect to an Internal LiveUpdate server.
On AIX, Solaris, Unix, Macintosh and Linux platforms, Java LiveUpdate (JLU) is used to download new content.
Symantec offers two tools that function as an internal LiveUpdate server: the legacy LiveUpdate Administration Utility 1.x (LUAU 1.x) and the current LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x (LUA 2.x). You can configure your clients' LiveUpdate settings to retrieve content from these internal LiveUpdate servers.
The necessary settings are in the liveupdate.conf file. This file is located in the /etc/ directory.
- Connect to the server and login with root or equivilant access.
- Naviage to /etc/
- Open the liveupdate.conf file with a text editor
- Replace the entire contents of the /etc/liveupdate.conf file with the following text:
- Modify the host= entry to point to your internal FTP or HTTP server.
- Modify the packagedir= entry to point to the file location on your system that will store the content downloaded from your LUA server.
- FTP Only: Change the login= and password= settings to the login and password for your internal FTP server.
Configure LiveUpdate to use an existing liveupdt.hst file
If you have an internal LiveUpdate server for retrieving virus definitions, then you can modify the /etc/liveupdate.conf file to use an existing liveupdt.hst which is generated by the LiveUpdate Administration Utility 1.x. For instructions on creating or modifying a liveupdt.hst file, see the document How to configure the LiveUpdate Administration Utility.
To configure LiveUpdate to use a liveupdt.hst file
You can use LUAU 1.x or LUA 2.x to create a liveupdt.hst file.
- For LiveUpdate Administration Utility 1.x (LUAU 1.x), use the Host File Editor functionality to generate a list of hosts and save the file as liveupdt.hst.
- For LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x (LUA 2.x), Create new host entries under Configure, Client Settings. When finished, use the "Export Java Settings" button to generate the liveupdt.hst file.
Copy or transfer the liveupdt.hst file to the following directory, replacing the existing copy:
/opt/Symantec/LiveUpdate (This can be any directory as it will be specified later in /etc/liveupdate.conf)
Modify the /etc/liveupdate.conf file to contain only the following lines:
If necessary, change the hostfile= setting to point to the full path of the .hst file on the server.
Configure LiveUpdate to use the default settings
By default, LiveUpdate is configured to download virus definitions through a direct Internet connection to liveupdate.symantec.com using the HTTP protocol. If you have changed the default settings and want to reset the LiveUpdate configuration, then modify the /etc/liveupdate.conf file to contain only the following lines:
Comments on liveupdate.conf parameters
- If the hostfile= entry is specified, then it will override any other transport settings in the liveupdate.conf file.
- The logfile= entry is optional and can be removed or modified to be written to another location.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH78975