How to obtain detailed MSI logging while installing or uninstalling Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) version 6.5 & older.
|Article:TECH82257|||||Created: 2004-01-20|||||Updated: 2014-02-20|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH82257|
This page describes the steps to obtain detailed MSI log files for SMSMSE while it is installing or uninstalling.
SMSMSE 6.5.5 and later create verbose MSI installation logs by default during installation.
The following steps cover the creation of MSI installation log file(s) for versions prior to 6.5.5 or for uninstalling SMSMSE.
- In the Registry editor, navigate to the following location:
- Under the Installer key, create a String value named Logging.
- Edit the value of the string and type in the following:
- Remove all files from the %temp% directory. The log files default to the location: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp
- Run the Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange installer.
Windows 2008/Windows 7
- Start > Run and type gpedit.msc to open the group policy manager.
- Expand Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Installer.
- Select Logging choose the Enabled option box and type voicewarmupx without quotes.
- Once you have generated the requested install log, disable the "Logging" option by reversing the steps.
When the installation/uninstallation completes or you see an error message, locate the four (4) MSIxxxxx. log files created in the Temp folder. Send the four MSIxxxxx.log files and the SMSMSExx_Setup.log file to the Symantec Technical Support agent who requested the logs. The default path is:
Windows 2000/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\Temp
Windows 2008/Windows 7: c:\users\<username>\appdata\local\temp
NOTE: You can also use the environment variable %TEMP% in Windows Explorer.
Where SMSMSExx_Setup.log refers to the version of the Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange installed.
Note: If you install the product remotely, the installation log appears in the Windows\Temp directory.
For detailed instructions, read the Microsoft Knowledge Base article: How to Enable Windows Installer Logging
Enhacement to SMSMSE installer to create verbose logs by default
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH82257