Known compatibility problems between Symantec Backup Exec and Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange with Premium AntiSpam enabled
|Article:TECH83486|||||Created: 2005-01-24|||||Updated: 2014-01-15|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH83486|
You installed Symantec Backup Exec and Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange on a Windows server. You enabled Symantec Premium AntiSpam and want to know of any compatibility problems between the two products.
Two known areas of incompatibility exist between the two Symantec products:
- File system backup errors related to Symantec Backup Exec and Symantec Premium AntiSpam
- Brick-level backup errors related to Symantec Backup Exec and Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange
File system backup error related to Symantec Backup Exec and Symantec Premium AntiSpam
An error message displays when you attempt a file system backup. The error message text indicates that the backup was unsuccessful. One or more folders were not backed up. The reported folders have a name like: "bm_ruleset.2.*.##########. Where the asterisk can be different values and the string "##########" is ten numbers.
The folder location is:
Brick-level backup error related to Symantec Backup Exec and Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange
An error message displays when you attempt a brick-level back up. The error message is similar to the following:
““WARNING: "<MAILBOX>?Top of Information Store?<FOLDER>? <FILE_NAME>" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify.”
Additional text may indicate corrupted messages encountered. The VSAPI interface runs within Exchange during the brick-level backup.
The following will help you to fix the error or errors that you got when you used Symantec Backup Exec.
To prevent the file system backup errors
Within Symantec Backup Exec you have the option exclude select files by wildcard. Exclude the Ruleset folders that are part of Symantec Premium AntiSpam. The syntax of the folder names is as follows:
where "##########" is a 10-digit number.
Use the following expression to exclude the rule set folders:
For instructions about the use of wildcards, read the following document:
How to globally exclude specific folders while performing a backup in Symantec Backup Exec™ for Windows Servers
To prevent brick-level backup errors
The following Symantec documents provide steps to prevent the brick-level backup errors.
- Best practices when using a Symantec Mail Security product and Symantec Backup Exec
- Symantec Brick level backup errors when running Symantec Mail Security 4.x for Microsoft Exchange products
- When backing up Microsoft Exchange 5.5 / 2000 individual mailboxes, the message " WARNING: <MAILBOX>?Top of Information Store?<FOLDER>? <FILE_NAME>" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify." is returned in the backup log as an exception in Backup Exec
- Best practices when using Symantec Mail Security and Backup Exec for Windows servers
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH83486