Error message: "java.lang.NullPointerException" when connecting to the Security Gateway Management Interface
|Article:TECH83703|||||Created: 2005-01-07|||||Updated: 2007-01-02|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH83703|
When you attempt to connect to the Security Gateway Management Interface (SGMI) for your Symantec Gateway Security 5000 Series appliance, you see an error message similar to the following:
If you click OK or Details, the message disappears and the SGMI loads. You need to know the cause of this problem and how to fix it.
When attempting to connect to the Security Gateway Management Interface (SGMI) for Symantec Gateway Security 5000 Series appliance, an error message is displayed: "java.lang.NullPointerException". If clicked OK or Details, the message disappears and the SGMI loads. You need to know the cause of this problem and how to fix it.
This problem can occur if Netscape is the default Web browser on your computer. The problem occurs because of a function of the Java console's proxy server settings when Netscape is configured as the default Web browser.
To fix the problem, take one of the following actions:
- Configure Internet Explorer as the default browser for the computer.
- Reconfigure the Java console to not use proxies.
To configure Internet Explorer as the default Web browser:
- In the Internet Explorer window, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
- In the Internet Options dialog box, on the Programs tab, check Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser.
- Exit Internet Explorer.
The next time that you open Internet Explorer, you will be asked if you want to set it as the default browser. Click Yes.
To configure the Java console to not use a proxy:
- On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, double-click Java.
- In the Java Control Panel, on the General tab, click Network Settings.
- In the Network Settings dialog box, click Direct Connection.
- Click OK.
- In the Java Control Panel, click OK.
If the options above do not resolve the problem reset the appliance to factory defaults.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH83703