Installing the Symantec Spam Folder Agent for Domino
|Article:TECH84499|||||Created: 2006-01-16|||||Updated: 2012-03-07|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH84499|
You want to install the Symantec Spam Folder Agent for Domino. This agent enables a user to release or submit spam from a Lotus Notes client.
IMPORTANT: This article provides instructions on how to install the Spam Foldering Agent for Domino Servers and Lotus Notes Clients up to version 7.
If using Domino or Notes versions 8.x, only a manual submission process is available.
For more information, please refer to the following article:
The information in the following sections help you install the Symantec Spam Folder Agent for Domino
Setting up the spam folder agent
Before you install the spam folder agent, ensure that the server and clients meet the following system requirements:
- Operating system
Windows 2000 Server SP3
Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP3
Windows Server 2003
Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition (32-bit only)
- Lotus Domino
Domino Server 6.x, 7.0
- Lotus Notes
Lotus Notes Client 6.x, 7.0
Installing the spam folder agent
You must install the foldering agent on each Lotus Domino mail server on your network. If your mail template files are replicas (as they are when shipped), you only need to install the foldering agent on one server. Before you install the foldering agent, ensure that the server and clients meet the system requirements. You must also ensure that you have signed the foldering agent database.
To start the agent installer wizard
- Insert the product installation CD into the CD-ROM drive.
- Copy the following database to your Domino data directory:
- Change the file attribute for folder_agent.nsf to read/write, if needed.
- In Lotus Notes, on the File menu, click Database > Open.
- In the Open Database dialog box, under Server, click Local.
- Under Database, click Symantec Spam Folder Agent.
- Click Open.
Before you begin:
- Identify a User ID file (such as an Agent Signer ID) that:
- has manager access (on the Access Control List) to all mail templates in you domain
- has unrestricted rights to run agents in the relevant Domino server documents and execution control lists.
- Switch to that User ID.
- User the administrator tool to sign all items in this database.
The Symantec Spam folder Agent is copied to a mail template on a mail server that you specify later. The software replicates throughout your Domino mail domain. The Designer task runs at 1:00 AM on each server, updating all mail files that inherit their design from the indicated template. If there are existing pre-delivery agents, they will be deactivated. See the Lotus Notes Help document for more information.
To install the spam folder agent using the wizard
- In the agent installer wizard, in the Welcome document, click Install Symantec Spam Folder Agent, and then click Next.
- In the License Agreement document, click I accept the terms of the license agreement, and then click Next.
- In the Preparing to Install document, read the on-screen instructions to ensure that you have completed all prerequisite steps, and then click Next.
- In the Selecting Options document, select any of the following, and then click Next:
Install Spam Folder - Creates a spam folder in Lotus Notes for each user.
Install Submissions Capability - Lets users submit false positives or missed spam to the Symantec Security Response email security unit.
- In the Configuring Spam Folder Information document, under Spam Folder, type the name of the folder to which spam messages should be routed. The default is Spam.
To use an existing folder in the mail template, type the name of the folder. For example, to use the Junk Folder in the Domino 6.x standard mail template (mail6.ntf) as your spam folder, type JunkMail as the spam folder name.
- Under Spam Expiration, type the number of days in which a spam message remains in the userfs spam folder before it is automatically deleted, and then click Next.
The expiration period must be between 1 and 365 days. Messages will be automatically deleted from the spam folder after the specified number of days. The default setting is 30 days.
- In the Configuring Submissions document, select the types of misclassified mail that users can submit to the Symantec Security Response email security unit.
- To receive a copy of each usersf misclassified email submissions, under Local Administrator Email for Submissions, do one of the following:
- Click the drop-down list and select an email address, and then click Next.
- Type an email address, and then click Next.
- In the Configuring Server Information document, under Mail Server, click the drop-down list and select the server on which you want to install the foldering agent.
If your mail template files are replicas (as they are when shipped), you only need to install the foldering agent on one server.
- Under Mail Template Filename, click the drop-down list and select the mail template that you want to modify.
Repeat this step for each mail template that you want to modify.
When you install the spam folder agent, you are modifying the mail template. If you upgrade or replace the mail template, you might have to reinstall the spam folder agent.
- Click Install, and then click Finish.
To verify the user ID used meets the requirements.
- Open Lotus Notes.
- Select the Mail template (mail6.ntf) located in the data directory. The default installation location is:
If you use a Lotus Domino version other than 6 your mail template name may be different.
- Right click Mail6.ntf > Access Control > Manage.
- In the Access Control List to: Mail (R6) > click Basics.
- Under Access Control List, select the user you want to specify as the agent manager. Make sure the user has Manager access.
The following is an example of the Access Control List window
To check for unrestricted rights to run the agent
The following is a graphic on how to check for rights to run agents.
This graphic is an example of the Workstation Security: Execution Control List. You may need to add or change settings.
To sign the spam folder database.
Use the Domino Administrator and open your LOCAL server, then sign the database as illustrated below. The following graphic shows how you sign the agent database.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH84499