Release notes for Patch 167 for Symantec Brightmail AntiSpam 6.0.3
|Article:TECH84501|||||Created: 2006-01-16|||||Updated: 2006-01-17|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH84501|
This page is a copy of the release notes for Patch 167 for Symantec Brightmail AntiSpam 6.0.3.
Patch 167 increases efficiency and addresses an issue with temporary directory space designation in Symantec Brightmail AntiSpam 6.0.3
This patch includes and supercedes patches 163 and 164.
Please note that the installation instructions for Windows include two more steps than usual.
Summary: Conduit does not honor TMPDIR env variable.
This update provides a finer level of control over where temporary work files are placed by introducing the following new functionality
(Unix systems only):
Whenever processing requires the creation of a temporary file, the system will first determine if the TMPDIR environment variable has been set. If it has, then all temporary files
created will be placed in the location specified. If TMPDIR has NOT been set, the system will continue to use "/var/tmp" to store temporary files.
On high volume systems, specifying a TMPDIR value that points at high speed systems may help increase throughput, as the high speed file system will be used to store data that is too large to fit in memory.
Summary: bmserver pegs CPU
Previously, under some conditions, the server could become CPU bound for several seconds during a rules re-load sequence. This patch resolves this issue.
Component: spamhunter, intsig
Summary: Certain message formats can cause poor performance Under some conditions the engine could take an extremely long time to parse. This issue has been addressed.
Installation Instructions (UNIX):
NOTE - It is recommended that you apply patch 168, which updates the patchinstall utility, prior to applying this patch.
1. cd to the LOADPOINT.
To find the LOADPOINT for the Brightmail Scanner on UNIX, execute this command:
% grep product /var/.com.zerog.registry.xml | grep Brightmail
The LOADPOINT is the directory value for "location=".
2. Download the patch file (to the LOADPOINT)
3. Stop the Brightmail Scanner:
# /etc/init.d/mailwall stop
4. As the root user, call patchinstall:
5. Restart the Brightmail Scanner:
# /etc/init.d/mailwall start
Installation Instructions (Windows):
1. Download the zip file.
2. Open up the zip file in order to view the contents.
3. Find the LOADPOINT. Its location is given in the registry key
The default value for LOADPOINT is
4. Stop the Brightmail Server and the Brightmail Conduit using the
5. Stop the agent from the Services panel. To do this, go to
Start > Run and type
Select Brightmail Agent and click Stop.
6. Extract the zip file into the LOADPOINT, preserving the folder structure from the zip file.
7. Start the agent from the Services panel. To do this, go to
Start > Run and type
Select Brightmail Agent and click Start.
8. Start the Brightmail Server using the Control Center.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH84501