System Requirements for Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 5.0
|Article:TECH84520|||||Created: 2006-01-23|||||Updated: 2008-01-08|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH84520|
This page is a copy of the System Requirements taken from the Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 5.0 Installation Guide.
This section lists system requirements for running Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 5.0
- If you plan to install and configure this Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 5.0 as a Scanner that will process both inbound and outbound traffic, two IPs (NICs) are required, one each for inbound and outbound mail traffic. The inbound IP should be on your external network and the outbound IP should be on your internal network. Optionally, you can use one NIC and two MTA ports (inbound and outbound). For example, port 25 for inbound and port 26 for outbound.
If you will not be processing both inbound and outbound mail, only one IP is required.
- A fully qualified domain name is required for each computer running Symantec Mail Security for SMTP.
- A UTF8-capable application for reading logs and other exported files.
Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 5.0 has the following hardware requirements:
- Intel Pentium 4 Processor or compatible (Windows and Linux)
- UltraSPARC (Solaris)
- 1GB RAM (2GB Recommended)
- 512 MB disk space minimum (2 GB or more recommended)
The following browser versions are supported for Control Center access:
- Internet Explorer 6.0
- Firefox 1.5
Note: You must enable cookies in your browser for Control Center to function correctly.
Supported LDAP servers
Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 5.0 supports the following LDAP v3 directory types:
- Windows 2000 Active Directory
- Windows 2003 Active Directory
- Sun Directory Server 5.2 (formerly known as the iPlanet Directory Server)
If you are using version 5.2 of the SunOne LDAP server, you must update to patch 4.
- Exchange 5.5 SP 3 or later
- Lotus Domino LDAP Server 6.5
- OpenLDAP (for authentication only)
System requirements for Windows
Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 5.0 is supported on the following versions of Windows:
- Windows 2000 Server (English) SP4
- Windows Server 2003 (English) SP1 32-bit
- Windows Server 2003 (Japanese) SP1 32-bit
Latest version of DirectX. Download from
Latest version of MDAC
Note: For Windows administrators, please note that Symantec Mail Security 5.0 for SMTP is not designed for installation on the same computer as either an Exchange server , ISA Server or any other application that will make use of any IIS components. 64-bit operating systems are not supported.
System requirements for Solaris
Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 5.0 is supported on the following versions of Solaris:
- Solaris 9
If you are running Solaris 9, you must apply patch 115697-02. The patch is available here:
- Solaris 10
Because the tar file names exceed the 40-character file name limit of native Solaris tar, GNU tar is required to install Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 5.0.
GNU tar for Solaris is available from http://www.sunfreeware.com and other Web sites.
Note: Solaris on x86 platforms is not supported.
System requirements for Linux (32-bit)
Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 5.0 is supported on the following versions of Linux:
- Red Hat AS 3.0 Update 5
- Red Hat ES 3.0 Update 5
For Linux installations, the installer requires the compat-libstdc++ library. This library is available on your Red Hat distribution CD.
RFC2251- Lightweight Directory Access Protocol v3
'System Requirements for Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 5.0.1'
- 64-bit OS versions of Windows 2003
- Any server running Exchange or any other type of mail server.
For additional information read Symantec document: Microsoft Exchange server deployment is not supported for Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 5.0
- Virtual Machine environments where the OS is installed to a VMware or Virtual PC image.
For additional information read Symantec document: Compatibility of Symantec Mail Security for SMTP 5.0 with virtual servers
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH84520