How to Export IM Manager conversations to Microsoft Exchange
|Article:TECH86980|||||Created: 2006-01-23|||||Updated: 2012-09-21|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH86980|
IM Manager IM chat transcripts are easily exported to Microsoft Exchange using the IM Manager export tool.
This approach should also be used to export to any email archiving system which is not certified by Symantec.
Before an export starts, please ensure that the following prerequisites are in place:
- IIS SMTP is configured to send email.
- Exchange is configured to allow connection and mail routing from the IM Manager server.
- Email addresses are attached to IM conversations. See the IM Manager Implementation Guide for details on configuring LDAP integration. See the following KB for troubleshooting missing email addresses: How to Troubleshoot Missing Email Addresses in Exported IM Conversations.
1. Install the IM Manager MICROSOFT EXCHANGE XSL Transformation.
The Symantec IM Manager export tool uses an XSL transformation process to generate the final SMTP messages that are delivered to MICROSOFT EXCHANGE. To set up the XSL:
a. Download the transform.xsl file.
b. Save the XSL file to <installation directory>\immanager\imarchive\transform.xsl on the Symantec IM Manager server where you have the IM Manager Administration Console installed.
c. Edit the file and change the fromEmailAddress field to an appropriate email address for your organization.
d. Change the value of journalingEmailboxname variable to the value of the Exchange journaling mailbox that MICROSOFT EXCHANGE processes.
e. Set the value of exportSystem to Exchange.
The following is an example of this XSL configuration:
var fromEmailaddress = "firstname.lastname@example.org";
var journalingEmailboxname = "Journal@symantec.com";
var exportSystem = "Exchange";
2. Configure Symantec IM Manager Export
- Most organizations run the export on a nightly basis and export all of the messages that have accumulated since the last export. Select the Relative Days Range radio button. Enter 3 in the At Most text box and 1 in the And Not Less Than text box.
- Click on the Filter tab. Enter the domain name that email addresses have in your organization in the Active Directory Fields|Mail textbox.
- Click on the Schedule Settings tab. Select the Repeating radio button. Enter the starting date and time and the frequency. Click Export to set up the export job.
- Configuring the Symantec IM Manager export requires the creating of an export account and the configuration of that export account.
To create an export job:
See the "Creating a custom export job" section in the IM Manager Implementation Guide for details on how to create an IM Manager export job.
To schedule an export:
See the section 'Scheduling an export job' in the IM Manager Implementation Guide for details on how to create an IM Manager export job.
Special Considerations Exporting Bloomberg Messages
The unique identifier in a Bloomberg chat file XML transcripts is the user's Bloomberg email address. Every message that is captured and recorded in the transcript contains the sender's and recipient's Bloomberg email address. Organizations can either choose to register the Bloomberg email addresses in IM Manager or register the Bloomberg email addresses in Exchange/Legato.
The standard Legato transformation file assumes that organizations register their Bloomberg email addresses in IM Manager. If you want to register the Bloomberg email address with Exchange/Legato, then you must edit the transformation file to change the value of the variable exportBloombergEmailAddresses to true.
- var exportBloombergEmailAddresses = true; // Set this to 'false' if you want to export standard email address from the email attribute rather than exporting the Bloomberg Email addresses.
Setting this value results in Bloomberg export conversations with the following headers:
- X-Receiver: LegatoJournal@Symantec.com
Date: Thu, 10 June 2004 17:58:56
To: <email@example.com>; <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: Symantec IMManager conversation export: Thu, 10 June 2004 17:58:56: JOHN DOE, SYMANTEC Says 4.74881
NOTE: The "To" field contains the Bloomberg email addresses of all participants regardless of whether or not the user in internal to your organization. By the association of the Bloomberg email addresses of your internal users with their Exchange/Legato profile, the Legato reviewer interface indicates which Bloomberg users are internal to your organization.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH86980