What version of Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) does the Backup Exec System Recovery / Livestate System Recovery restore disks use?
|Article:TECH87549|||||Created: 2010-01-02|||||Updated: 2014-02-14|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87549|
It is suspected, troubleshooting a restore attempt of a Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) or Livestate System Recovery (LSR) recovery point image, that the system being restored, or a specific piece of hardware in this system, may not support the version of Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) use by the Symantec Recovery Disk (SRD) performing the restore.
This specific system and/or one or more of its hardware components may only be supported by the original equipment, system board, or the hardware component manufacturer to operate under particular versions of the Windows operating system. The SRD used to perform the restore may be built upon a WinPE version corresponding to a Windows operating system that the manufacturer does not support. In the case where the SRD is using a version of WinPE that is supported, specific pieces of hardware within the system may need additional drivers added to the WinPE environment in order to perform the restore.
The table at the end of this document list the WinPE version, its corresponding Microsoft Windows operation system build it is built from, and the Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) / Livestate System Recovery (LSR) product Symantec Recovery disk (SRD) that would use this WinPE version.
Contact the original equipment, system board, or the specific hardware component (i.e. RAID controller, NIC, etc) manufacturer(s) to verify if the version of the Windows operating system / WinPE use by the SRD to perform the restore is supported. In the case where the SRD is using a supported version of WinPE, specific pieces of hardware within the system may require additional drivers to be added to recovery environment, in order to perform the restore. In such cases, depending upon the BESR / LSR version being use, do one of the following:
- BESR 7.0 and newer
- - Use the, 'load a driver,' option within the Symantec Recovery Environment
- To load a driver for a local drive from within the recovery environment
- 1. Start the computer by using the BESR version 7.0 or newer Symantec Recovery Disk CD.
2. Once the recovery environment starts, click Load a Driver on the Home panel.
3. Click Browse to navigate to the folder containing the required VISTA/2008 driver for the hardware needed to perform the restore.
4. Click on the *.inf to select the driver.
5. Click Open.
6. Repeat steps 2 through 5 for additional drivers
7. Proceed in performing the restore.
- Create a custom recovery CD containing the required VISTA/2008 drivers.
For more information concerning on how to create a custom recovery CD please refer to the following technote document: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH83694
LSR 6.0x through BESR 6.5x
- For more information concerning on how to obtained a custom recovery CD through NIC_DRIVERS Symantec service please refer to the following technote document:
Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) use per version of Backup Exec System Recovery / Livestate Symantec Recovery
|WinPE version being use||Windows Operating System WinPE is built from||Product SRD that uses this WinPE version|
|Windows PE 4.0||NT 6.2.9200 (Windows Server 2012)||Symantec System Recovery 2013|
|Windows PE 2.1||NT 6.0.6001 (Windows Server 2008)||Backup Exec System Recovery 8.5x through to 2011|
|Windows PE 2.0||NT 6.0.6000 (Windows Vista)||Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0x through 8.0x|
|Windows PE 1.6||NT 5.2.3790.1830 (Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1)||Livestate Recovery 6.0x through Backup Exec System Recover 6.5x|
|Windows PE 1.1||NT 5.1.2600.1106 (Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1)||V2i Protector 2.0x through Livestate Recovery 3.0x|
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87549