The Symantec Scan Engine 5.1/5.2 user interface does not load and appears to hang/stall at "Loading Java Applet", "retrieving data" or "com.symantec.gui.guidelines.ScanEngine applet started"
|Article:TECH89105|||||Created: 2008-01-05|||||Updated: 2010-10-11|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH89105|
The user interface does not display quickly when Symantec Scan Engine starts, log on takes a long time. In some situations, interface does not load at all and appears to hang. This is a known issue with Scan Engine installed on a non-English OS.
Disable Java applet caching on any computer used to access the Scan Engine UI (following applies to java 1.5.0-14 which is required by Scan Engine 5.1):.
To disable Java applet cache
- Open the Windows Control Panel.
- Click Java Plug-in.
- In the Java Plug-in window, on the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files click Settings.
- In Temporary Files Settings click on View Applets.
- In Java Applet Cache Viewer uncheck Enable Caching.
- Select all items and in the list and click Delete.
- Click OK.
The problem may also be with your Internet browser. Please try the following:
- Change the security settings in your browser.
- Add the URL to your Trusted Sites list.
- Use another browser.
- If you suspect a problem with Internet Explorer 7, see also:
- '"class com.symantec.gui.guidelines.ScanEngineApplet not found" when browsing the web interface for Scan Engine 5.x in Internet Explorer 7'
This is also referenced in the Scan Engine release notes.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH89105