Clients are not able to communicate with Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) when installed on a Windows Server 2008
|Article:TECH94322|||||Created: 2009-01-02|||||Updated: 2011-02-04|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH94322|
Why are clients are not able to communicate with SEPM when installed on a Windows Server 2008?
The following Symptoms are seen:
- Secars test results “The page cannot be displayed”
- Clients do not connect or report in Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager after installation
- Help & Support, Troubleshooting shows Server Status as Offline.
The custom HTTP port 8014 is been blocked by Default on Windows Firewall on Windows Server 2008
Follow the steps below in order to allow the inbound traffic on port http 8014:
In case of Server 2008.
- Open Windows Firewall Advance Settings from Administrative Tools
- Under Inbound Rules, select Create New Rule
- Create the rule for Ports & Protocol
- Select TCP port 8014
- Allow the traffic for only Domain as it is specific for Internal Network
- Finish the wizard
- Try to update the policy on the one of the client to test the end results
- The client should show up in manager and will start communicating with the manager
In case of Server 2008 R2
- Open Windows Firewall settings from control panel.
- Click on Advance Settings.
- Click on Inbound Rules.
- At the right hand side, click on New Rule.
- Select a rule type as Port.
- Select TCP and under specific local port type 8014.
- On the next screen select Allow the Connection.
- Select Domain.
- Provide the desired name for this Rule.
- Click Finish.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH94322