Error: "Unknown OS error" displayed in Domino Server console after starting Mail Security for Domino 8.x
|Article:TECH94510|||||Created: 2009-01-11|||||Updated: 2013-10-22|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH94510|
When Symantec Mail Security for Domino (SMSDOM) 8.0 starts, you notice the error "Unknown OS error" in the Domino Console, and Mail Security for Domino doesn't start
The following debug-level events are generated when SMSDOM templates are missing:
SMSDOM DEBUG [ nntask 10-0EFC-14:32:36] Allocated shared memory
SMSDOM DEBUG [ nntask 05-0EFC-14:32:36] Initialization routine started.
SMSDOM DEBUG [ nntask 01-0EFC-14:32:36] Unable to sign database sav.ntf
SMSDOM DEBUG [ nntask 01-0EFC-14:32:36] Unable to sign database savquar.ntf
SMSDOM DEBUG [ nntask 01-0EFC-14:32:36] Unable to sign database savlog.ntf
SMSDOM DEBUG [ nntask 01-0EFC-14:32:36] Unable to sign database savdefs.ntf
> SMSDOM DEBUG [ nntask 05-0EFC-14:32:37] Terminate routine started
> SMSDOM DEBUG [ nntask 05-0EFC-14:32:40] SMSDOM Terminated successfully
Unknown OS error
SMSDOM DEBUG [ nntask 10-0EFC-14:32:40] There were errors in terminating shared memory
11/06/2009 14:32:40 SMSDOM: Service shutdown completed.
This error is shown when any of the following conditions occur:
- The database templates for Symantec Mail Security for Domino 8.0 may have been removed or corrupted
- The Domino server notes.ini file does not contain the line "EXTMGR_ADDINS=nnem.dll" or "nnem" (UNIX deployments)
- Multiple mailboxes and the parameter "Mail_Enable_Mailbox_Compatibility" is enabled on notes.ini
- Note: please call Symantec Support if you're under this scenario
The following steps should help you resolve the problem.
- Edit your Domino server's notes.ini file
- Add the following line to the end of the file:
"EXTMGR_ADDINS=nnem.dll" for Windows OS
"EXTMGR_ADDINS=nnem" for UNIX OS
- Restart the Domino server
Please make sure all Symantec Mail Security for Domino 8.0 database templates are present in the ...\Domino\Data folder.
The followings are all template files needed by Symantec Mail Security for Domino 8.0:
If you are receiving an error stating that the virus definitions are missing or corrupt, please see the document below:
If the above steps do not resolve the issue, please make sure your mailbox enabled:
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH94510