How to create a VMware image of a computer
|Article:TECH94710|||||Created: 2009-01-23|||||Updated: 2013-04-30|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH94710|
For troubleshooting purposes, Symantec occasionally requests a VMware image from a customer's computer that is experiencing the issue so they can reproduce and further investigate the problem.
Pre-Image Creation Prep
1. Create an administrator account needed by Support to continue troubleshooting.
2. Document the username(s) and password(s) as Support will need these.
3. Ensure that you have a media device with adequate storage to house the image.
1. Convert the physical machine experiencing the issue into a virtual machine using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone.
Download and install the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone software: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads
Click on the 'VMware vCenter Converter Standalone' link.
This will convert the physical machine into a virtual machine for free. Follow the steps from the software to complete this process.
2. Copy the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone image to another computer with VMware Workstation installed and import the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone image into VMware Workstation.
Download and install the VMware Workstation Trail software: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads
Click on the 'VMware Workstation' link.
3. After importing the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone image into VMware Workstation, boot up VMware Workstation to make sure the image is OK and that you can logon and get to the desktop.
4. Verify that the issue is reproducible in the VMware Workstation image. If not, you should contact Symantec Support before uploading the image as the issue may be hardware related.
5. Properly shutdown the VMware Workstation (operating system) and then upload the VMware Workstation image to Symantec Support.
Note: Registration with VMware is required before receiving access to download the trial/evaluation software.
Getting the Image to Support
Contact Symantec Support to get information on how and where to upload the image.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH94710