How to upgrade Symantec Endpoint Protection clients by using Auto-Upgrade
|Article:TECH96789|||||Created: 2009-01-14|||||Updated: 2012-06-04|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH96789|
How to perform an auto-upgrade of Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) clients after upgrading the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) or after adding the latest client install packages.
The auto-upgrade process lets you automatically upgrade the Symantec Endpoint Protection client software for all the clients that are contained in a client group. For example, you can use auto-upgrade to upgrade clients from the MR2 release to the MR3 release. You can also add a client installation package by using the client installation files from the product disc. You must test the auto-upgrade process before you attempt to upgrade a large number of clients in your production network. If you do not have a test network, you can create a test group. You can add a few non-critical clients to the test group and upgrade them by using auto-upgrade. You can confirm the upgrade completed successfully by verifying the version number of the client software that appears in the About dialog box.
To upgrade clients by using AutoUpgrade :
- In the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console, click Admin
- Click Install Packages
- Under Tasks, click Upgrade Groups with Package
- In the Welcome to the Upgrade Groups Wizard panel, click Next
- In the Select Client Install Package panel, select the appropriate client installation package, and then click Next
- In the Specify Groups panel, select the groups that contain the client computers you want to upgrade, and then click Next
- In the Package Upgrade Settings panel, select Download client from the management server
- Click Upgrade Settings
- On the General tab, select Maintain existing client features when updating
- You can optionally add or remove features when upgrading
- Configure the Upgrade Schedule if desired or leave it unchecked to start the roll-out on the client's next heartbeat.
- Optionally, on the Notification tab, customize the user notification settings
- You can customize the message displayed on the client computer during the upgrade
- For more information about schedule and notification settings, click Help
- Click OK
- In the Upgrade Groups Wizard, click Next
- Click Finish
The Installation Guide for Symantec™ Endpoint Protection and Symantec Network Access Control can be found in the Documents folder of the product DVD / CD, or can be downloaded from the page of Endpoint Protection 11.0 Product Documentation.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH96789