How to upgrade Symantec Endpoint Protection clients using the Auto-Upgrade feature
|Article:TECH96789|||||Created: 2009-01-14|||||Updated: 2014-04-11|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH96789|
How to perform an auto-upgrade of Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) clients after upgrading the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) or after adding the latest client install packages.
Auto-upgrade is used to install a new version of Symantec Endpoint Protection client software on all the clients in a group.
It can be used to upgrade multiple machines in a network to a new version of SEP with a minimum of user intervention. To upgrade SEP on a network, it is only necessary to manually upgrade the SEPM, and then the clients will download the install package assigned to their group as they heartbeat to the manager, or on a schedule.
Another use would be for testing deployment of a new version on a test group before upgrading the rest of the network.
To upgrade clients by using Auto-Upgrade:
- In the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console, click Admin
- Click Install Packages
- Under Tasks, click Upgrade Clients with Package
- In the Welcome to the Upgrade Groups Wizard panel, click Next
- In the Select Client Install Package panel, select the appropriate client installation package, and click Next
- In the Specify Groups panel, select the groups to be upgraded, and click Next
- In the Package Upgrade Settings panel, select Download client from the management server
- Click Upgrade Settings
- On the General tab, select Maintain existing client features when updating
- Features can be changed after the auto-upgrade has completed successfully. Changing features during auto-upgrade may have undesired results.
- Select a client install setting from drop-down to alter reboot behavior or leave it at default to prompt users to reboot. A reboot is forced overnight or if no user is logged in. (See TECH177107 for custom Client Install Settings.)
- Configure the Upgrade Schedule if desired or leave it unchecked to start the roll-out on the client's next heartbeat.
- Optionally, on the Notification tab, customize the user notification settings
- The message displayed on the client computer during the upgrade can be customized.
- For more information about schedule and notification settings, click Help
- Click OK
- In the Upgrade Groups Wizard, click Next
- Click Finish
The Symantec Endpoint Protection and Symantec Network Access Control 12.1.2 Installation and Administration Guide can be found in the Documents folder of the product DVD / CD, or can be downloaded from the page of Endpoint Protection 12.1.2 Product Documentation.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH96789