How to reset the admin password of the Symantec Messaging Gateway (SMG) appliance
|Article:TECH96795|||||Created: 2009-01-15|||||Updated: 2013-05-15|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH96795|
How can I reset the admin password of the Symantec Messaging Gateway (previously known as Brightmail Gateway) if I have lost it?
- no section of Control Center opened with administrator user privileges to change password;
- no user “admin” or “support” console opened on command prompt (local or SSH) to change password;
- lost user “support” password;
- lost user “admin” password;
Administrator lost the admin password and they do not want to OSrestore the appliance.
With Symantec Messaging Gateway (SMG) version 10.0.0, the Control Center will present a "Forgot your password?" link following a failed authentication attempt to a valid Administrator user account. This link is provided on the basis that the option "Enable password Reset" was enabled beforehand in the Administrators configuration found in the Control Center.
Recovering the administrator password in SMG v10.0 and later:
- Follow the "Forgot your password?" link following failed login
- Enter the username of the admin account you wish to recover
- An email with a one time link will be sent to the email address associated with the account allowing the account holder to change their password.
Password recovery requires that administrator accounts be configured with a valid, deliverable email address. Please ensure that all administrator accounts are properly configured in the event that password recovery is needed.
This document is for Symantec Messaging Gateway Version 10 and above. There is no password reset option in earlier versions. If the password is lost in Symantec Messaging Gateway versions 9.5.x and earlier, an OSrestore of the product will be needed. Steps for this can be found in this document:
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH96795