About upgrading to Symantec Mail Security 6.5 for Microsoft Exchange from a previous version
|Article:TECH97484|||||Created: 2009-01-16|||||Updated: 2014-01-31|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH97484|
You want to know how to upgrade to Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange 6.5 (SMSMSE) from a previous version
Upgrading simply involves running SMSMSE's setup.exe.
1. Download the latest version of SMSMSE 6.5 from https://fileconnect.symantec.com. (You will need your current serial number to log in, e.g. M1234567890).
2. The file is a self-extracting EXE file. Extract the files to a directory on the desktop or other convenient location.
3. Run <extracted directory>\SMSMSE\Install\setup.exe.
Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange can be upgraded to version 6.5 in the following scenarios:
|Upgrade From||Upgrade To||Supportability|
|SMSMSE 6.5||SMSMSE 6.5 (newer version)||Supported on Exchange 2003/2007/2010|
|SMSMSE 6.0||SMSMSE 6.5||Supported on Exchange 2003/2007|
|SMSMSE 5.0||SMSMSE 6.5||Supported on Exchange 2003|
|SMSMSE 4.6||SMSMSE 6.5||Supported on Exchange 2003|
For step-by-step installation instructions, see the version of the Implementation Guide that corresponds to your version of Microsoft Exchange. You can find the Implementation Guide in the DOCS folder of your installation media and on the Symantec Web site.
- You cannot upgrade from a previous version through a silent or a remote installation.
- Upgrading in a cluster environment is not supported.
- Upgrading on Exchange Server 2003 does not require a reboot.
It is recommended that you back up the existing configuration files prior to upgrading. The backup files are to use in the case of a failed migration to ensure that you can easily roll back to the previous version.
Read Backing up configuration settings for Symantec Mail Security Microsoft Exchange 5.x and above for details about backing up the configuration files.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH97484