Unable to release content filtering violations by email when the original recipient contains a comma (,) in the email address
|Article:TECH98310|||||Created: 2009-01-29|||||Updated: 2014-07-31|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH98310|
When you attempt to release the item by email it leaves quarantine. However the item never reaches the intended recipient. The item then appears in the quarantine again.
- In the Release by Mail wizard, the "Original recipient" will have a comma (,) somewhere in its address.
- If you obtain a debugview log while reproducing the problem, you'll see entries such as:
- 00000199 9:59:16.437 AM  CheckName for "firstname.lastname@example.org is UnResolved
00000202 9:59:16.437 AM  ..\..\..\src\Server\SAVFMSESHARED\MailStoreClient.cpp(624) :
00000203 9:59:16.437 AM  Debug Trace: HRESULT=0x80004005 - Unspecified error
00000206 9:59:16.437 AM  ..\..\..\src\Server\SAVFMSESHARED\NtfyMsg.cpp(350) :
00000207 9:59:16.437 AM  Debug Trace: HRESULT=0x80004005 - Unspecified error
00000219 9:59:16.468 AM  CheckName for jongburm" is UnResolved
00000222 9:59:16.468 AM  ..\..\..\src\Server\SAVFMSESHARED\MailStoreClient.cpp(624) :
00000223 9:59:16.468 AM  Debug Trace: HRESULT=0x80004005 - Unspecified error
00000226 9:59:16.484 AM  ..\..\..\src\Server\SAVFMSESHARED\NtfyMsg.cpp(350) :
00000227 9:59:16.484 AM  Debug Trace: HRESULT=0x80004005 - Unspecified error
This is due to the email address being separated into two separate email address at the comma by Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) and then submitted to Exchange as two separate recipients. Because neither recipient actually exists within Exchange, the resolution to Exchange fails and the email is not delivered.
If the display name passed to SMSMSE by Exchange contains a comma, SMSMSE interprets this comma as the start of a new email address, which causes the email address to be unresolved in Exchange.
This problem is fixed in Symantec Mail Security 6.5.1 for Microsoft Exchange. To download the latest release, read Obtaining an update or an upgrade for a Symantec Corporate product.
- 1. Open the SMSMSE console and navigate to Monitors -> Quarantine.
2. Select the item you'd like to release, right click and select Release by Mail.
3. Un-check "Send to original intended recipient(s)" and check "Send to the following."
4. Enter the fully qualified email address of the recipient (i.e. email@example.com) in the "Alternate recipients") field and click Ok.
The email should then be delivered successfully.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH98310