How to submit a file to Symantec Security Response using Scan and Deliver
|Article:TECH98706|||||Created: 2000-01-16|||||Updated: 2005-01-08|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH98706|
You performed a virus scan using the latest virus definitions, and Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition or Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition did not detect a virus, but you still suspect that your computer has a virus. You want to know how to submit a sample of the suspected virus to Symantec Security Response for testing.
Depending on your version of AV, the procedures for submitting can be different. Use the section that matches the version of AV that you have.
Once a file is placed in Quarantine, you can send it to Symantec Security Response for analysis. After Symantec Security Response receives the file, it will be examined for infection and you will be notified by email of the results. There is no charge for this service, but the computer must be connected to the Internet to use it.
To use Scan and Deliver, you must first place the file in Quarantine, and then submit it to Symantec Security Response. Please follow the instructions in each section.
Note: When the file is placed in Quarantine, it is encrypted and is no longer a threat to the computer.
To place the file in Quarantine
- Start your Symantec AV product.
- Click View, then click Quarantine.
- Click Add to Quarantine.
- Browse to the suspicious file on the system, and then click Add.
To submit a file when you have Central Quarantine installed
- Open the Symantec System Center console.
- Click Symantec Central Quarantine. If you are using Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.x, click Quarantine instead.
- Right-click the file that you want to submit, and then click "Queue item for automatic analysis."
- Click OK.
To submit a sample from an unmanaged client, or from a managed client without Symantec Central Quarantine
- Select the file that you want to submit in the right pane of the Quarantine window.
- Click Submit to Symantec Security Response. If you are using Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.x, click Submit Item instead.
- In the Scan and Deliver wizard, click Next to scan the file.
- If the file appears not to be infected, then you are prompted, "Would you like to submit this file today?" Click Yes, and then click Next. (If the file is infected, there is no need to submit it.)
- Continue through the wizard and fill out the contact information in the next three dialog boxes. Click Next when each is complete.
- Verify the information for accuracy in the Review dialog box, and then, if it is correct, click Next.
- Click Finish at the Thank You dialog box. Your virus sample will be sent to Symantec Security Response. You will be notified of the results by email.
Note: If the Submit Item button is disabled or is not present in the right pane of the Quarantine window, select the "Enable Quarantine or Scan and Deliver" and "Allow submissions via Scan and Deliver" options, under Quarantine Options in the Symantec System Center. The Submit Item button also will not appear if no item in Quarantine is selected.
Read the knowledge base document What to do if you are a Corporate customer and Security Response has responded to your submission when you have received a response.
If you cannot use the scan and deliver method of submitting a virus sample, then contact Technical Support for steps on submitting a virus sample.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH98706