How to configure the LiveUpdate Administration Utility 1.x (LUAU 1.x)
|Article:TECH98930|||||Created: 2000-01-06|||||Updated: 2012-06-25|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH98930|
The LiveUpdate Administration Utility 1.x allows you to download update packages and configure clients to retrieve those updates from an internal LiveUpdate server. This document describes how to configure the LiveUpdate Administration Utility 1.x.
Before you begin:
- Be sure that using the LiveUpdate Administration Utility 1.x is the best solution for your environment. Symantec AntiVirus provides another method of distributing virus definitions, the Virus Definition Transport Method (VDTM), that may be more suitable for your environment. Find additional information on this in the Technical Information section of this document.
- LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x (LUA 2.x) is a completely new web-based program that can centrally manage multiple LiveUpdate servers. Administrators may wish to use this new solution, though the LUAU 1.x remains capable of many functions. See Installing and configuring LiveUpdate Administrator 2.1
- If you use the LiveUpdate Administration Utility 1.5 and use Symantec AntiVirus 10.x clients, read Hosting Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10 Client MicroDefinitions on an Internal LiveUpdate Server.
The LiveUpdate Administration Utility is typically used in medium to large enterprise environments.
Some reasons to use the LiveUpdate Administration Utility 1.5 are
- The Virus Definition Transport Method (VDTM) is not implemented (for more information on VDTM and its uses, read the Technical Information section of this document).
- It limits Internet traffic.
- It makes definition updates available to computers that do not have Internet connectivity.
- It allows you to update definitions for unmanaged clients.
- It allows you to manage bandwidth usage for definition updates by scheduling when LiveUpdate runs.
- It gives you the ability to have product updates for other Symantec products available on the internal network.
Note: The LUAU packages that are downloaded can be 60 MB or more, so this solution is not recommended for networks with slow Internet connections, especially dial-up connections. For more information, please see How the Live Update Administration Utility (LUAU) 1.5.x works
To download and install the LiveUpdate Administration Utility 1.x
- Click luau.exe to begin the download.
- Save the file to the Windows desktop.
- After the download finishes, double-click the luau.exe icon on the desktop to install the LiveUpdate Administration Utility .
To configure the LiveUpdate Administration Utility 1.x for downloads
- Click Start > Programs > LiveUpdate Administration Utility > LiveUpdate Administration Utility.
- In the left pane, ensure that Retrieve Updates is selected.
- Click Browse and specify a download folder.
This should be a new, local shared folder that does not contain any other files or folders, or a new folder on your FTP or HTTP server.
- Select a single update and the language for the update, then click Retrieve.
We recommend that you select a small download, such as Symevent. As part of this initial download, you will also receive an updated product list, which is the reason for this initial download.
- In the Languages of Updates section, select the language that you want.
For example, choose English. For definition updates, select SymAllLanguages as well.
- In the Symantec Product Line section, select the products that you want to update and click Details.
- In the Details dialog box, uncheck any downloads for versions of Symantec products that are not used in your environment.
- Verify that the correct languages are selected.
- Click OK.
- Repeat the process for each Symantec product that you use in your environment.
- Click Retrieve to start the download.
If LiveUpdate fails, you may need to configure LiveUpdate to use your proxy settings or to use passive-mode FTP transfers. To find these settings, start LiveUpdate and click Options.
Configure the client computers to retrieve updates from your internal LiveUpdate server
For client computers to retrieve definition and product updates from your internal LiveUpdate server, you must configure a new host file and distribute it to all clients. If you are using Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 8.0 or later, configure the clients by using the Symantec System Center.
There are three options for the type of connection that will be used by clients to retrieve updates:
- FTP: an internal FTP server that has been set up to distribute LU files
- HTTP: an internal HTTP server that has been set up to distribute LU files
- LAN: a shared folder that will be accessed through UNC
- If you have a managed environment, Symantec recommends that you configure clients using the Symantec System Center. For more information, read the document How to use the LiveUpdate Administrator with Symantec Client Security.
- Java LiveUpdate does not support LAN (UNC connections) updates using LiveUpdate. You must configure an internal FTP or HTTP server to update definitions on computers that use Java LiveUpdate.
To configure client computers
- Start LU Admin and click Host File Editor.
- From the menu bar, click File > New > Host File.
- The Description fields are arbitrary. Type the name of your server.
- The Login Name and Password fields are used only for FTP or HTTP servers, not for shared folders. If you are using a FTP or HTTP server, enter the appropriate data.
- Under Connection, type the UNC path to your shared folder, or the URL or IP address of your FTP or HTTP server.
- Choose the appropriate option under Type; choose either LAN, FTP, or HTTP.
- From the menu bar, click File > Save As.
- In the Save As dialog box, in the File name box, type liveupdt.hst
When using LiveUpdate Administrator to create the Liveupdt.hst file, do not save the file to \Program Files\Symantec\Liveupdate folder.
- Save the file to the Desktop or to a location in which you can easily find it.
- Copy the Liveupdt.hst file that you just created to each client computer.
This file must reside in the C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate folder on each client computer.
Note: When you run LiveUpdate on a client, the Liveupdt.hst file is merged into the Settings.Liveupdate file and then the Liveupdt.hst file is deleted.
Is the implementation of LiveUpdate Administration Utility 1.x the correct choice for your environment?
The following documents may help you make this decision.
What are the supported methods for updating virus definitions with Symantec AntiVirus?
Updating virus definitions for Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.x and Symantec Client Security 3.x
Updating virus definitions for Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 8.x and 9.x
Would the Virus Definition Transport Method (VDTM) be easier to implement and more effective?
How to use the Virus Definitions Transport Method (VDTM) in Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition
What are the supported methods to update Windows 64-bit editions?
Supported features of Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition on 64-bit editions of Windows
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH98930