Backup software stops responding or fails when Realtime Protection is running
|Article:TECH99433|||||Created: 2001-01-13|||||Updated: 2007-01-08|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH99433|
You are running Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition (NAVCE) 7.x or Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition (Symantec AV) 8.x on a server or servers. Whenever you try to run a backup, it either stops responding or fails.
This is expected behavior between any backup program and any antivirus program. NAVCE and Symantec AV will scan everything the backup program accesses, and during this process, the backup program may time-out or stop responding. This problem has been addressed for NT-based platforms in NAVCE 7.6 build 34 and later, including all versions of Symantec AV. Under File System Real Time Protection, there is now an advanced option to ignore files being opened for backup by unchecking "opened for backup." If you are using an earlier version of NAVCE, read the document How to obtain an update or an upgrade for your Symantec Corporate product.
Note: The following information is for servers on Windows 2000, Windows NT 4.0 and Windows XP with NAVCE 7.6 prior to build 34. If you have build 34 or later, read the document How to configure Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.61 with storage migration and backup software.
- Prior to the backup, change realtime protection options from Accessed or Modified to Modified Only. After the backup is complete, change realtime protection back.
- Temporarily disable realtime protection while performing the backup. Enable realtime protection when the backup is complete.
- Stop the Norton AntiVirus Server or Symantec AntiVirus Server service, and then run the backup. Restart the service when the backup is complete.
To change Realtime Protection options
- Go to File System Realtime Protection, and then click Advanced.
- Click "Modified (scan or create)."
- Run your backup program.
- When the backup is complete, repeat steps 1 and 2. Change step 2 back to "Accessed or modified (scan on create, open, move, copy, or run)."
To disable Realtime Protection
- Go to File System Realtime Protection, and then uncheck "Enable file system realtime protection."
- Run the backup program.
- Repeat step 1, except select "Enable file system realtime protection."
To stop the Norton AntiVirus Server service
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Administrative Tools.
- Double-click Services.
- Right-click Norton AntiVirus Server service, and then click Stop.
- Run the backup program.
- Repeat steps 1 through 4, except click Start to restart the Norton AntiVirus Server service.
Note: When backing up on a NetWare server, unload Nav.nlm using Alt-F10 from the console. When your backup is complete, load Vpstart to re-enable realtime protection.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH99433