Fatal Error 2896 occurs when clicking Next button on the Welcome Dialog often on Vista boxes
|Article:TECH9950|||||Created: 2005-12-21|||||Updated: 2008-06-24|||||Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH9950|
When running the installation, I receive the following error when clicking the Next button on the Welcome Dialog and/or a fatal error in the log file:
Title: Fatal Error
Text: Installation ended prematurely because of an error
Action ended 11:44:17: WiseNextDlg. Return value 3.
DEBUG: Error 2896: Executing action WiseNextDlg failed.
Internal Error 2896. WiseNextDlg
Action ended 11:44:17: Welcome_Dialog. Return value 3.
Action start 11:39:42: RebuildListbox.
Action ended 11:39:42: RebuildListbox. Return value 3.
DEBUG: Error 2896: Executing action RebuildListbox failed.
Internal Error 2896. RebuildListbox
Action ended 11:39:42: Welcome_Dialog. Return value 3.
MSI (c) (A0:50) [11:39:42:282]: Doing action: Fatal_Error
Microsoft Windows Vista
Other Windows OS
Wise Package Studio 7.x
Wise Installation Studio 7.0
This occurs when you are unable to run VBScripts on your computer. This can be due to either VBScript being disabled or unregistered.
There are two resolutions available for this issue.
Follow the steps below to register VBscript your computer:
- Ensure the VBscript is installed.
- Turn off script blocking antivirus and personal firewall software.
- Locate the vbscript.dll on your system. On 32-bit systems, this file should be located at C:\Windows\System32.
On 64-bit systems, the file should be located at C:\Windows\SysWOW64.
- Go to Start > Run and at the prompt enter: regsvr32.exe <path to vbscript.dll>.
Windows* Vista should then confirm that the vbscript has been registered.
A .DLL has been developed that can be used to replace the VBScript on the dialogs for your installation. Below are the steps below to update your .MSI to use the .DLL:
- Extract the file wisedlg.dll from the attached .zip file
- Go to Installation Expert > Resources page.
- Double-click on the WiseDlgSequence entry.
- Browse to the file you just extracted.
- Go to Setup Editor > Tables > CustomAction table.
- Change the type field from 6 to 1 for the WiseNextDlg and WisePrevDlg entries. This changes it to call a .dll instead of vbscript.
Note: Every time Windows Installer makes a call to a .dll, the .dll is extracted and loaded. On slower computers, this may cause a a lag to be noticeable.
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH9950