Altiris provides a modular set of integrated tools for centralized IT management. Altiris' platform allows IT administrators to start with just those capabilities that are needed today and expand functionality over time as needs change and grow.
While Lenovo's ThinkVantage Technologies primarily focus on giving end users the tools they need to be effective with their personal IT assets, Altiris' solutions focus more directly on IT professionals and the challenges they face in administering a broader IT environment. A goal of the Altiris solutions is to be transparent to end users. Thus, most Altiris solutions snap into a central console that is used by IT administrators to remotely batch and automate management operations across many computers at once. An Altiris agent is commonly installed on end-user computers, but the agent is typically hidden from the end-user's perspective.
Through the central Altiris console, IT administrators can remotely and simultaneously perform a variety of tasks across many different groups of IT assets. These functions include:
- Detailed hardware/software inventories
- Compliance scanning and remediation (for SOX, FISMA, HIPAA, etc.)
- Software license tracking
- Bare metal system deployment or migration
- Remote control
- Device discovery and topology mapping
- Extensive, graphical reporting across a configuration management database (CMDB)
- Deployment of patches and updates
- Deployment of software packages
- Helpdesk management (incident creation/management,
- Service and asset management
- Contract management
- And many more
To learn more about Altiris solutions, visit this page.
Altiris solutions create a synergistic effect and combined with Lenovo ThinkVantage Technologies provides the user with a product synergy that is indeed greater than the sum of its parts.
Altiris solutions also include advanced optimizations for Lenovo ThinkPad notebooks based on Intel® Centrino® Pro processor technology and Lenovo ThinkCentre desktops based on Intel® vProTM processor technology. These capabilities include:
- Out-of-band hardware level access for normal manageability processes even if powered down, agent missing or OS unresponsive
- Remote software problem diagnosis and repair, including BIOS
- Remote hardware problem diagnosis
- Improved accuracy and efficiency of asset inventory even with missing agent
- Encrypted remote software update
- Remote system isolation and recovery
- Security appliance with hardware based virtualization
To learn more about Altiris solutions optimized for Lenovo ThinkPad™ notebooks based on Intel® Centrino® Pro processor technology and Lenovo ThinkCentre desktops based on Intel® vProTM processor technology, visit http://www.altiris.com/vpro.