Technical White Papers are designed to introduce Symantec partners and end users to key technologies and technical concepts that are associated with the Symantec Backup and Recovery product family. The information within a Technical White Paper will assist partners and customers as they design and implement data protection solutions based on Symantec Backup and Recovery products.
The attached white paper is intended to assist technical personnel as they design and implement Backup Exec™ 2014 and the Agent for Microsoft Exchange and make related decisions. The business value of the Agent for Microsoft Exchange will also be discussed in this white paper.
This white paper includes the following topics:
- Business Value
- Exchange Protection Methods and Technology
- Backup Exec and Exchange High Availability Configurations
- Exchange Recovery Methods and Technology
- Managing Backup Exec Rights and Permissions in Exchange Environments
- Example Backup Exec Configurations for Protecting Exchange
- Exchange Protection Notes and Best Practices
- Additional Resources
Email is Business Critical
Email has become an indispensable way of communicating and transferring data in the modern electronic age. In the year 2010, it was estimated that almost 300 billion emails were sent each day, and around 90 trillion emails were sent every year. Considering the rate at which data continues to increase year-over-year, the number of emails sent today is likely significantly greater. Email is used for many forms of communication, including business critical communications for companies of all sizes.
Companies rely heavily upon email systems to conduct day-to-day business operations, and any significant period where access to email is lost is considered to be highly intolerable.
All email solutions used by modern businesses are based upon a server infrastructure hosting an email software system. Whether hosted locally on physical or virtualized servers, hosted by a partner, or hosted in the cloud, these email software systems support the incredible amount of email transmissions that happen every day, and can be implemented in many different sizes and configurations. Perhaps the most common and popular email system used in the industry today is Microsoft Exchange.
Because Microsoft Exchange plays such a critical role in the ability for organizations to conduct day-to-day business, it’s equally critical that companies employ protection solutions that enable them to quickly and easily recover their Exchange system should a data loss or disaster event occur. Backup and recovery solutions of the highest value will offer features that enable the following:
- Functionality designed specifically for Microsoft Exchange
- Protection of Exchange while it remains online and functional
- Ability to protect physical Exchange servers as well as virtualized Exchange systems
- Support for highly available Exchange configurations
- Adherence to Microsoft best practices for Exchange backup and recovery
- Optimization of secondary (backup) storage using data deduplication technology
- Support for local as well as offsite storage of backup data
- Multiple levels of recovery from a single-pass backup
Symantec Backup Exec
Symantec Backup Exec™ delivers powerful, flexible, and easy-to-use backup and recovery to protect your entire infrastructure whether built upon virtual, physical, or a combination of both. Using modern technology, Backup Exec backs up local or remote data to virtually any storage device including tape, disk and cloud. Recovery is fast and efficient. With a few simple clicks, you can quickly search and restore granular file or application objects, applications, VMs, and servers directly from backup storage. Additionally, easily protect more data while reducing storage costs through integrated deduplication and archiving technology.
- Powerful: Super charge the performance of your backup with Backup Exec. Get fast and reliable backups that are up to 100% faster than prior releases, comprehensive and innovative virtualization capabilities, and powerful built-in data deduplication and archiving. Avoid lengthy downtime and missing a critical backup window with Backup Exec.
- Flexible: Not all backup solutions have the flexibility to protect your environment while also supporting agile recovery. You should be able to recover what you need, when you need it - quickly and easily. Whether you want to recover a single, critical file or an entire server, Backup Exec can quickly search and restore without mounting or staging multiple backup jobs. Backup Exec protects hybrid architectures with a single solution that backs up to virtually any storage device and achieves fast, efficient, versatile recovery.
- Easy to use: Traditional, complex and point backup and recovery solutions can be inefficient, time consuming, and expensive to manage. Through intuitive wizards and insightful dashboards, Backup Exec is easy to implement, use and manage, whether you’re upgrading from a previous version or switching from an alternative solution.