The Technical Services team for Backup and Recovery have produced a number of documents we call "Blueprints".
These Blueprints are designed to show backup and recovery challenges around specific technologies or functions and how Backup Exec solves these challenges.
Each Blueprint consists of:
- Pain Points: What challenges customers face
- Whiteboard: Shows how Backup Exec solves the customer challenges
- Recommended Configuration: Shows recommended installation
- Do’s: Gives detailed configurations suggested by Symantec
- Don'ts: What configurations & pitfalls customers should avoid
- Advantages: Summarizes the Backup Exec advantages
As a result of the natural growth process companies experience over time, IT environments may experience changes that can increase the difficulty of achieving a successful data protection strategy. Some of these changes may include the following:
- Increase in the number of critical data and application servers that need to be protected
- Increase in the amount of data in the environment
- Increase in the number and complexity of backup servers and associated storage devices
- Additional company sites or locations
Successful and automated backup and recovery operations at remote sites can be a difficult goal for administrators to achieve. Administrators need the ability to protect critical IT resources at remote office locations and store copies of backup data offsite, but often lack sufficient manpower at remote offices to handle the management of removable media storage devices commonly used for backup, such as tape.
Backup Exec 2014 allows administrators to leverage a technology known as optimized duplication to both back up critical IT resources at remote office locations and transfer copies of backup data to a central location, all without the need of staffing media management personnel at the remote office. Optimized duplication allows backup data to be copied from one backup server to another in deduplicated form, greatly reducing the amount of data copied from one site to another. Optimized duplication works by only sending deduplicated data blocks that are not already contained at the destination server.
You can use this Blueprint to better understand Backup Exec's technologies for managing large environments - please download from the link below.