Last week we saw a visual and simple way on how to create a base application package (Version 1 package). Taking the same approach this week we will see how to create an upgrade package for TextPad (Version 2).
Now we step through Part 2: Creating the upgrade package for XPF_TextPad_473 (Version 2)
- Launch Wise Virtual Composer
- Click on Packaging Wizard. Click Next.
- Select Package Type as Upgrade Package
- Select the XPF_TextPad_473.XPF package. Click on Open.
- Click Next.
- Change the package name to reflect the new version: XPF_TextPad_542.
- Click on Add Application button to select the application installer (new version).
- Select the upgraded application installer file and click Open.
- You will be re-directed to the Packaging Wizard->Upgrade Package->Applications window. Click on next.
- In the Package Settings screen, choose Auto-Select, since template for TextPad is not available. Click on next.
- Take a quick glance at the Package Summary screen. If you wish to make further changes, click the Back button and make changes and revisit the Package Summary screen. If you are good, go ahead and click on next.
- In the Compile Package step, you can choose if you want the composer to pause and display the result of each phase or not. I will select all check boxes to make sure the packaging is free of errors.
- Click on Start.
- The upgrade packaging process starts.
- Click on next.
- Accept EULA. Click on next.
- Enter Customer Information details and click on next.
- Select the Default Destination Folder or change location and click on next.
- Click on Install.
- The virtual installation for TextPad 5 starts.
- Once virtual install completes for the upgraded version (5.4.2), click on Finish.
- You will be re-directed to Compile Package screen displaying status of the compile phase.
- Click start to process the template creation. A success status is displayed once the template creation completes.
Note: The templates get stored in the package and can be added to the template library for future use.
- Click on start again to start compiling the Version 1 package.
- During the compilation phase, you will be asked to select a template for the package. Select the template that you created in Step-24 (while creating the Version 1 package). Click on Continue.
- The package compilation is finalized and composer completes packaging.
- Click on Finish
Steps-to-verify if Version 2 is created successfully:
You have successfully created the Version 2 Package .
Best Tips for packaging:
One of best tip for packaging any application is to considering using command line for application capture.
While Packaging Wizard is good to start with, using CMD.exe (aka %SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe) as the primary application to capture applications is a more definitive approach. Ask me the benefit: You can customize the application as you wanted to before the termination of capture process. Exit at the command prompt to complete the capture. This works very good with applications like Java