Frequent contributor CondorMan shows us how to roll up our sleeves and tweak the PXE menu color to something that'll fit the corporate color scheme (or something that will shock your user's socks off). Check it out. (Written for Deployment Server 6.8.206)
It is possible to change the PXE Menu's color. You can download a sample menu here, or you can modify your PXE Menu to display in different colors by following the guidelines in this document. If you want to make your PXE Menu look the most natural, you can use
Step 1, Install a HEX Editor
These instructions will explain how to modify your PXE Menu using a Hex Editor called "Free Hex Editor". If you already have a Hex Editor, you may use it instead. If you do not already have a Hex Editor installed, download and install Free Hex Editor from
Step 2, Make a backup of your original BStrap.0 file
- Locate your Master BStrap.0 file. It will be in the following directory: \\Your Deployment Server\PXE\MasterImages\BStrap\x86pc\BStrap.0
- Make a backup copy of BStrap.0. If you have any PXE issues after making this modification, you will need to restore your backed up copy of BStrap.0 file before calling support since this modification is unsupported.
Step 3, Alter the Background Color
- Edit \\Your Deployment Server\PXE\MasterImages\BStrap\x86pc\BStrap.0 in
your Hex Editor
- Go to Hex offset 2258
- In the Edit Menu, choose Goto
- Type 2258 and hit Enter
- Find the background color you want in the following list.
- Replace the value in offset 2258 with the value of the background color you want.
Step 4, Alter the Foreground Color
- Go to Hex offset 368D
- Find the foreground color you want in the following list.
- Replace the value in offset 368D with the value of the foreground color you want.
Step 5, Save and Apply the Changes
- Save the BStrap.0 file
- Copy this file to all of your PXE Servers, replacing C:\Program Files\Altiris\eXpress\Deployment Server\PXE\Images\BStrap\x86pc\BStrap.0
Step 6, Test the Changes
Boot a client machine into PXE. It should now appear in the new colors selected. If you have any problems, revert to your backed up version of BStrap.0.