Altiris® Software Virtualization Solution™(SVS™) Logon Hook lets you trigger SVS actions based on Microsoft Windows* user/group logon and logoff events. You can create and use files that automatically activate, deactivate, reset, import, export and delete layers whenever a user logs into, or logs out of, Microsoft Windows.
SVS Logon Hook is not supported on Microsoft Windows Vista client computers, or Windows 2000 computers.
Logon Hook consists of three components.SVS Logon Hook .DLL files
The SVS Logon Hook .DLL files must be installed and registered on client computers. These files support Logon Hook functionality. By default the .DLL files are installed to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Altiris\Virtualization". They consist of:
- VzHook.dll: The SVS Logon Hook.
- VzUserSw.dll: A Logon Hook extension for dynamic user software.
- VzUserSwxml.dll A dynamic user software provider for XML.
The User Settings Configuration files are administrator-defined XML files with which you define user/group based actions taken when logon and logoff occurs on a client computer. These files define:
- What users/groups are included.
- Which layers are included.
- Where the layer's Virtual Software Archive file (.VSA) is stored.
- Which actions are automatically performed on a layer when a user logs on.
- Which actions are automatically performed on a layer when a user logs off.
User Settings Configuration files are created using a tool called SVS User Admin. You place them on a network share and configure client computer's registries to reference them.SVS User Admin Utility
The SVS User Admin utility is a user interface that lets you create and edit User Settings Configuration files. You must install .NET 2.0 to use this utility.
The SVS User Admin utility is imported into SVS Admin as a .VSA file. You use this tool to create rules that define the actions to perform on a layer when a user/group logs on or logs off. This utility is only required on the computer where User Settings Configuration files will be created and modified.Logon Hook Prerequisites
To use SVS Logon Hook, you must meet the following client computer and User Admin computer prerequisites.Client Computer Prerequisites
To use SVS Logon Hook, your client computers require a minimum of:
- SVS 2.1
- Microsoft Windows XP SP2
- .VSA access
- Logon Hook .DLL files
These are included as a .MSI file with the Logon Hook download.
Logon Hook rules are configured using a tool called SVS User Admin. This tool requires the following:
- SVS Client with SVS Admin 2.1.
- Microsoft Windows XP SP2.
- .NET 2.0 50727.
- .VSA access must be available.
- Logon Hook .DLLs.
The Logon Hook .DLL files are only required if you intend to test on the User Admin computer. These are included as a .MSI file with the Logon Hook download.
- Download the SVS Logon Hook .ZIP file onto the computer where you want to use SVS User Admin.
- Extract the .ZIP file.
This file contains the SVS User Admin.VSA and the SVS_User_Logon_Hook.MSI file.
- Copy the SVS User Admin.VSA to your Virtual Software Package Archive.
- Import the SVS User Admin.VSA into SVS Admin:
- Open SVS Admin.
- Select File > Import from Archive.
- Browse to and select the SVS User Admin.VSA.
- Click Open.
- Activate the SVS User Admin layer:
- In SVS Admin, right-click the layer.
- Select Activate Layer.
To launch SVS User Admin, double-click the SVS User Admin Shortcut which is placed on the Windows Desktop.